Forum Discussion

S_Seydel
Contributor
7 years ago

IE under Windows 10 too slow

Hi,

recently my computer was upgraded to Windows 10.
For the last year I've successfully run many keyword tests with plenty of clickItem operations on combo box items. Now under Windows 10 these operations fail often with the error "There was an attempt to perform an action at a point, which is beyond the screen.".
I noticed that with Windows 10 IE performs much slower than with Windows 7 and suspects this to be the root of the problem. After the test run is stopped, because of the error, the clickItem action can be performed flawlessly.
I know I could use some wait method on the object before calling the clickItem method, however regarding the number of combo box items which are used over dozens of keyword tests it would take several days to edit all of them.
Does anyone have experienced a similar problem and perhaps could propose a better solution?

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

There is an option under Tools -> Options -> Engines -> General for "Enable support for testing Windows store applications".  By default, that is turned on.  Try disabling that option, restarting TestComplete, and see if you get a performance increase.

You can also try this:

Preparing Internet Explorer for Web Testing

Disable Multiple Processes of Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer 9 and later spawn multiple iexplore.exe processes. This feature is called Loosely-Coupled Internet Explorer (LCIE) and is designed to improve the browser’s reliability and session isolation.

You must disable LCIE for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10. For other Internet Explorer versions, disabling LCIE is optional but can improve test performance.

To disable LCIE:

• Click Start and select Run. In the Run dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor.

• Find the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

• In this key, find the TabProcGrowth value.

If this value does not exist, create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it TabProcGrowth.

• Set the TabProcGrowth value to 0.

• Close the Registry Editor.

This will instruct Internet Explorer to run the frame window and all of the tabs within the same iexplore.exe process rather than multiple processes.

S_Seydel
      Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I added TabProcGrowth with a value of 0 to the registry and unchecked "Enable support for testing Windows store applications".

I also followed all other steps of "Preparing Internet Explorer for Web Testing".

Unfortunatly the problem stays the same.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

I know you don't want to go through and edit all your clickitem instances... but something to try at least as a POC, right before one of your "clickitem" calls, also make a call for the same object to execute the method/action "scrollIntoView" with a parameter set to "true".  It's possible that the upgrade to Windows 10, with your application (especially if the component is inside a frame inside the page), that TestComplete's "auto scroll" capability may be hampered.  I've seen this happen in our own systems.  Explicitly calling "scrollIntoView" as I mentioned will alleviate that problem.  

At least give it a try in one instance to see if it resolves the problem.