Forum Discussion

sergi
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

How to deal with Version Control branches and Script.tcScript file

Hi,

In my company we work with TFS and use a development branch for each new test we define and then we merge it to the main branch once finsihed.

We haven't figured it out how to deal in a proper way when there are parallel branches adding new Script files to the project because both modify Script.tcScript file adding new entries with the same node item Name (e.g. Node name="item0000000445").

We want to avoid having to merge to main branch (and back from man branch to ongoing development branches) everytime a new script file is added to the project...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• If anyone is interested and is reading this, they fixed the problem in TC 11 because they changed the content of Script.tcScript file.

Now, rather than nameing the node like  Node name="item0000000445", they changed it to  Node name="myunitfilename" (for MyUnitFileName.sj file).

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Unfortunately, TestComplete is not perfect with the concurrent development and the best approach community made so far is to have a dedicated responsible person who merges all changes made by test developers on their local copies and then commits merged project into version control system (VCS).

Note, that as NameMapping is really hard to merge, the suggested approach is to make changes to namemappings in one location (e.g. on the machine where the merged project resides) and then populate the changed NameMapping file (via VCS) to all test developers.

sergi
      Contributor

Thanks for your reply Alex.

Unfortunately it doesn't help me solve the problem.

We stopped using Namemapping long time ago, but I remember at least there was a merge functionality for Namemapping.

If the current approach to populate Script.tcScript file is not changed, at least a dedicated merge functionality should be added to Script.tcScript file.

I'm not sure about how other companies work, but this is really a big problem for us.

sergi
    Contributor

If anyone is interested and is reading this, they fixed the problem in TC 11 because they changed the content of Script.tcScript file.

Now, rather than nameing the node like  Node name="item0000000445", they changed it to  Node name="myunitfilename" (for MyUnitFileName.sj file).