Forum Discussion

Alicya619
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago

How do I simulate holding "UP" key

Hello all,

I'm trying to simulate a press key continuously on "UP" keys but I expected to have the UP key press until it release (and so my value going up for several unit) but it's not the case, it's only one unit by one. I'm doing this :

Sys.Desktop.KeyDown(VK_UP);
aqUtils.Delay(TIMEOUT_DELAY, "Step 7 - Wait for 1.5s");
Sys.Desktop.KeyUp(VK_UP);

I have a look at these topics (not helpful):

- https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Desktop-Testing/Press-and-hold-2-keys/m-p/182354

- https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Desktop-Testing/How-do-I-simulate-holding-down-spacebar/m-p/113668.

I tried also to record the test, to use different objects, different application ... but nothing works.

Does someone have the answer :

- How to do it ?

- Why it's not working ?

Thank you in advance 

Alicya

11 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

What code did you get when you recorded the Up action that you wanted?

Alicya619
      Occasional Contributor

I tried it and I get this : 

Aliases.MainTabControl.rowHeaderContent.Click(5, 12);
      NameMapping.Sys.Wdh_Digisharp_UI_Shell.MainWindow.MainRegion.ThresholdsView.PhysicalTab.PhysicalTableRight.Keys("[Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up][Up]");
      Aliases.MainTabControl.rowHeaderContent2.Click(5, 11);
      NameMapping.Sys.Wdh_Digisharp_UI_Shell.MainWindow.MainRegion.ThresholdsView.PhysicalTab.PhysicalTableLeft.Keys("[Up][Up]");

The 1rst part (with many Up) corresponds to press 'Up' continiously and the second part is when I press 'Up' two distinct times.

Alicya

Alicya619
        Occasional Contributor

I tried this 

Sys.Desktop.KeyDown(VK_CONTROL);
        item1.Click();
        item2.Click();
        item3.Click();
        Sys.Desktop.KeyUp(VK_CONTROL);

And I get the expected for behavior, my 3 items are correctly selected..

The issue it really to press continuously on a key, if I'm pressing during two seconds on 'a' I will expect a result like this : 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' but what I get is 'a'.

Alicya