Forum Discussion

clay
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

How do I rebuild/recover a project .mds file?

I am not a happy camper right now.  I saved my project file in TestComplete after deleting a folder in from the "Test Items" tab of the project.  The application died with an access error (something about the tccore.dll).  After the crash, the .mds project file is completely empty.  I recover the .mds file from backups and try again. Same thing.  I am not sure how to recover from this.

Is there some way that I can create a blank or new project and drag/drop all of the project files into it to rebuild it?

We have the project under source control, but I am encountering the same problem every time I try to delete the folder in question (there are actually a number of folders with this problem).  I think what has happened is that an improper merge of the mds file occurred during checkin (e.g., new and old changes were both accepted rather than one or the other).  Now we have duplicate sets of folders in the project and I cannot delete them.

clay
    7 years ago

I was able to recover a previous version from source control and perform "surgery" on the project.mds file by manually eliminating the redundant XML codes.  This was not an ideal situation, as I would thing that do such things would be fraught with peril!  Fortunately, this seems to have worked for my situation.

Lesson to be learned:  use source control on you project files!  Had I not done this, I think I would have been stuck.

2 Replies

clay
      Contributor

I was able to recover a previous version from source control and perform "surgery" on the project.mds file by manually eliminating the redundant XML codes.  This was not an ideal situation, as I would thing that do such things would be fraught with peril!  Fortunately, this seems to have worked for my situation.

Lesson to be learned:  use source control on you project files!  Had I not done this, I think I would have been stuck.