Forum Discussion

gdave
Regular Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Help with mapping an object

Hi all

I am trying to map the below object so that I can click on the 'pencil' sign however I am struggling to do so as the object is not a button but a panel object.

I want to first click the pencil sign in row one and then in row two. I am not sure how I go about mapping them and then make TestComplete click the sign in row one first followed by row two. Screenshot from the object spy below:

Thanks

• Hello gdave - 

It shouldnt matter that it is a panel and not a button - what happens when you let TestComplete create the mapping? 

Also - are you aware of if you are using Xpath and CSS or the property based object identification?

You will have to create separate objects in your repository for the pencil in rows 1 and 2 and then you should have no problem clicking on them separately. 

Emma

3 Replies

• Hello gdave - 

It shouldnt matter that it is a panel and not a button - what happens when you let TestComplete create the mapping? 

Also - are you aware of if you are using Xpath and CSS or the property based object identification?

You will have to create separate objects in your repository for the pencil in rows 1 and 2 and then you should have no problem clicking on them separately. 

Emma

gdave
      Regular Contributor

I wasn't sure what approach I should take, so as suggested, I have created a mapping name as pencil1 & pencil2 and it worked fine.

I am using property based object identification.

Thanks for your help.

AutomatedMonkey
        New Contributor

If comfortable with Xpath, you could do something like:

//tagName[@attribute=’’]//following::tagName

And then pass the text of the Account type (GIA/JISA/SIPP etc) as a variable to cover when the client has multiple GIAs or different account combinations.