Forum Discussion

wmtan01
Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Git and the new DataVersion implemented by 14.60

We recently upgraded to 14.60 and noticed that the variables are now saved as String (Human-Readable) values instead of having them in Hex (how 14.30 saved variables). I opened a ticket with SmartBear and they responded that choosing which DataVersion you will use to save files will not be supported as moving forward we will be using String.

Issues with this:

1. KWT files saved in 14.60 cannot be opened in 14.30 (or any version that does not support the new DataVersion) and would prevent your project from being opened.

- FINE. SmartBear said that we should not be going back/using older versions. Alright, I'll accept this. Just note that we did not upgrade immediately to 14.40 because of a ticket that just got solved with the 14.60 version. So I warn people to not just blindly update to the latest version.

2. When a small change is done to an existing KWT file, let's say one line is added, when the commit and PR is made, the list of changes are so long since all variable reference was changed by the DataVersion conversion.

Here's a sample change that was caused by saving in v14.60

I'm not sure TestComplete, considered handling these commit issues when they implemented this change which is quite disappointing.

So my question now is this, does anyone know of a way to trigger a "save" on all your KWTs so that we can do this conversion in one full sweep instead of seeing these "changes" everytime we do a Pull Request

sonya_m
    4 years ago

Thank you, Marsha, for advice!

wmtan01 here's the official answer from Support on this - I got it from your ticket:

>>

I was told that these options will not be possible at this time. For now, the only option for updating the values in Git would be to resolve the conflicts as they come up.

<<

11 Replies

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

Would it work to get the whole project out of Git at once and then just commit it again?  

If it was me, I would just do the "conversion" as it happens to the files I'm working with.  We tend to work with the same kwts for awhile and then switch to others, right?  The big commit would only come once for each of those, and then happen again only when we start working with some other kwts.  Spread it out instead of trying to force it all at once.

wmtan01
        Contributor

For us to do the brand new git commit, we would still need a way to trigger the conversion to all files which TestComplete does not provide. The only way would be to do a "change" in each file, and hit save inside the UI.

Yes, we've been doing it as we go along but as we make PRs for changes, there are changes that are due to this conversion rather than actual change into the KWT.