Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Generate random numbers in JScript

Hello,

Is there any way to generate random numbers in JScript scripts? I noticed that there is a Random() function in DelphiScript, but there are no analogous ones for JScript.

Jessica

4 Replies

karkadil
    Valued Contributor
    This JScript function will generate a random integer within a given interval

function randInt(min, max)

{

return Math.round(Math.random()*(max-min)+min)

}

method Math.random() returns a random number between 0 and 1
    Oferv
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

is there a way to generate random number from a range of numbers but do it twice and make sure the first number won't be selected twice?

for example:

if i have the numbers:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and the random function select the number 4,i want to run this function again and make sure that the number 4 won't be selected again

Thanks
    karkadil
    Valued Contributor
    Here is an example of such code using the randInt() function I provided earlier.

function generateTwoNumbers()

{

var n1, n2;

n1 = n2 = randInt(1, 9);

while(n2 == n1)

{

n2 = randInt(1, 9);

}

}

• Hi,

I agree with Gennadiy - his solution is simple and clear. Also, if the number of elements to select is high, you may use a different approach:

Use an array of N possible values (may be generated programmatically), pick an index randomly in the [0..N-1] range, use the value having that index, then delete the value from the array, and pick another random index in the [0..N-2] range. This can be done in a loop to generate lengthy values with different digits.