Forum Discussion

TC_UserP
Contributor
7 years ago

Executing automation across domains

Dear SmartBear,

We are facing a problem when trying to test part of a cross-domain software suite. The troublesome component is an application which is located on a remote machine in a different domain to the server(s) hosting the testing suite, scripts and license.

Normal user interaction with the remote application is performed over remote desktop connection (RemoteApp), and although TestComplete can invoke this action there is no exposure of the application itself beyond the RDP window(s).

The network suite features of TC seem like an ideal solution for driving tests on the remote machine, except that the domain separation means there is no access to the TestComplete scripts or license from the remote.

Are there any clever solutions to drive testing in such a scenario?

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Just as a note, you already posted this question in another location (https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-General-Discussions/Executing-automation-across-domains/m-p/147010).  Generally, the SmartBear folks don't like a question posted multiple times... makes it hard to track responses.

The "clever" solution would be to see if you can implement "image based testing" via the RDP window.  You're not going to have exposed a lot of the objects and properties that you would have in another situation but you will, at least, be able to execute against the remote UI.

TC_UserP
      Contributor

Thank You! 

But the current workaround is using image recognition, but this is not sufficient for the scope of activity in the application.

Is there any other approach you can suggest?

Also, I thought if the category I posted in was incorrect and I just repeated the post here. Apologies if it caused "Inconvenience"

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

The only other approach that I can recommend is to configure your domains to allow cross-domain communication for the purpose of licensing or purchase additional licenses for that other domain. If you need access beyond simply interacting with the UI, that really is your best solution.