Forum Discussion

heidi_n
Regular Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Exception Catastrophic Failure

I am getting Exception Catastrophic Failure when trying to launch Chrome from TC9. How can this be fixed?

Chrome is in my tested apps.
  • Hi Heidi,

Make sure you are closing all ADO connections after they are opened.

This sounds like a similar issue.

Edit: I should also note that any subsequent test runs may generate this error even if it's seemingly unrelated to chrome etc. Try restarting Test Complete to see if the error resolves its self. If it does this is likely the problem you are running into.

5 Replies

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    Hi Heidi,

Make sure you are closing all ADO connections after they are opened.

This sounds like a similar issue.

Edit: I should also note that any subsequent test runs may generate this error even if it's seemingly unrelated to chrome etc. Try restarting Test Complete to see if the error resolves its self. If it does this is likely the problem you are running into.
    heidi_n
    Regular Contributor
    Also, I have SmartBear TestComplete Extension9.30.3373 enabled in Chrome extensions, Allow access to file URLs and it says installed by a third party.
    heidi_n
    Regular Contributor
    Hi Ryan,

How do I close the ADO connections if I am using a keyword test?
    Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    I don't work with keyword tests so I probably wouldn't be the best to answer that.

From within a JScript I have to do the following:

1. Close the connection using .Close() method

2. Set the connection and reader objects to null

3. Call the CollectGarbage() method

If you're working with excel spreadsheets you'll probably notice that when this error occurs if you try to open the spreadsheet(s) you're working with you'll get a message about the sheet being open in another application. If you close Test Complete entirely the message goes away. Reason being that it's holding the ADO connection open.

If you're not working with excel you may experience different issues with the database.

If you're performing a data-driven loop with a keyword test and you encounter an exception during the loop the connection is possibly left open each time you run the test. Because this is all managed "code" this would likely (and anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong here) not be resolved until the Test Complete application is closed.

If you could provide more information on how you are performing your tests that may help in speculating the cause of the issue.