Forum Discussion

CristianE
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

[Electron] Unable to get 'Page' objects [but sometimes it works]

Hello,

I have a new electron-based application that will need to be tested, and now I'm looking into whether I can do this using TestComplete. I'm already using TestComplete for a web and desktop application, but with Electron I ran into a problem.

In General, the 'Page' objects are not identified by Test Complete, but sometimes it happens to find them (in 1 out of 5-10 attempts). Thus, when 'Page' objects are not identified, I cannot identify the elements in the application.

I've been looking for a solution for a few days (I also read the documentation related to TestComplete with Electron), but I couldn't find one 😞

Note: Already Web and Desktop installation are available in my Test Complete.

Marsha_R
    4 years ago

This is the most important part of the documentation at the moment:

Supported Electron Versions

TestComplete can test 32- and 64-bit applications created with Electron version 1.8.2, 2.0.2, 3.0.2, 4.0.2, 5.0.0, 6.0.0, 6.1, 7.0.0, 7.1, 8.0 - 8.1.

Note: We do not guarantee that your tests will work with applications created with other versions of Electron.

You're probably just lucky that it runs on Windows 10.  

I would contact Support directly at this point.  Here's the link:

https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

3 Replies

CristianE
      Occasional Contributor

Hello Marsha,

The application uses version 9 of Electron, but I don't think there should be such a big difference that it doesn't detect Page object. I tried several times (over 50 attempts), but I couldn't find a pattern to figure out why it works sometimes.

And yes, I think I looked over all the TestComplete documentation pages that include Electron. 

An important thing to mention is that the environment is on Windows Server 2016, and on Windows 10 I do not encounter this problem of object identification. Are there any permissions that should be enabled (The user is an administrator).

Another thing that I noticed, in the Task Manager the application uses 5 processes to work, and in TestComplete I can only identify 1. I can identify the other processes with Sys.Process("App Name", Index), but I can't figure out if it would help me with something to fix the problem.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

This is the most important part of the documentation at the moment:

Supported Electron Versions

TestComplete can test 32- and 64-bit applications created with Electron version 1.8.2, 2.0.2, 3.0.2, 4.0.2, 5.0.0, 6.0.0, 6.1, 7.0.0, 7.1, 8.0 - 8.1.

Note: We do not guarantee that your tests will work with applications created with other versions of Electron.

You're probably just lucky that it runs on Windows 10.  

I would contact Support directly at this point.  Here's the link:

https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete