Forum Discussion

sguda
Regular Contributor
13 years ago

Does parameterization works with the dropdown value fields

Hi,

My application has several steps with few fields to choose the values from dropdown items as shown in the attcahment

Does parameterization works for such type of fields to choose new field everytime i run the script or do i have to have a seperate script for each choice of dropdown value. B'se I noticed that inTC 8.5 when the script is playing back, it is actually opening the drop down and choosing the value from drop down.

So PLease let me know so i can proceed with this

10 Replies

ramu6309
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Sri,

Get the items count from the dropdown and then use For loop to select each item after your actions completed.

Eg:

Set Obj = Dropdownobj

For Each Child In Obj

Child.Select 

Action 1

Action 2

Action 2        

Next
    sguda
    Regular Contributor
    I didn't quiet understand it.

For ex: I have Father's Education Field which has 6 choices like 1. please select, 2. high school, 3. college or beyond  etc

There are few fields like this in each step and there are 7 steps in the application for the script.

I planned to develop one step in the script for each step of the application

For each set of these drop down values, the script has to execute completely and then when it runs second time it has to select 2nd set of values from the drop down boxes.

So please explain me how i can acheive this. Or without scripting will the datadriven testing works with the dropdown fields also. 

• Hi Sri,

I suppose you can arrange a loop and execute the same test with varying parameters in each loop iteration. This will require transfering the application to the same initial state (that is, returning to the dropdown selection step) in the beginning of each loop, before selecting the values. If you need to use dropdown values, not an external file, as a data source, you can 1) get to the step when the dropdown appears 2) read all values from the dropdown to an array 3) enumerate the array's elements and handle each selection as a separate iteration - this will be the loop mentioned above.

aditya_n
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi

I am using keyword driven testing for selecting dropdown values from multiple dropdowns present in a form.

however when i run the recorded script the tool identifies the first selected dropdown value  but doesnt for the rest of the

dropdown boxes.

I am using TC 8.0 for .net windows app.Also m using devexpress 10.2 and .net framework is 3.5

Please let me know any possible solutions for the same

regards,

Aditya.
  • Hi Aditya,

Please check whether the problem persists in the latest version of TestComplete (v. 8.70). If it does, please zip your entire project suite folder along with the log of the failed test execution and send us the archive via our Contact Support form. Make sure that messages in your log correspond to the latest version of your tests.
    aditya_n
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Allen,

I am currently using the trial version 8.50 of testcomplete.

i am unable to find the version you mentioned for a trial run.

hence let me know if i can mail you the logs directly without testing the problem on the version 8.70.

Regards,

Aditya

• Hi Aditya,

It's really strange that you're still using a TestComplete 8.50 trial considering the fact that it's not available till TestComplete 8.60 release, which preceded the TestComplete 8.70 release. Simply request another trial - and you'll get the latest version of TestComplete. TestComplete 8.50 supported version 2010.1.4 of Developer Express controls and later versions are supported by the current version of TestComplete. Although 10.2 still is not in the official list, it's possible that you'll get rid of the problem after installing the latest TestComplete version (if it's caused by this functionality).

aditya_n
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Allen,

Thanks for the immediate response.

I have sent a request mail to the support team for the latest trial version.

Regards,

Aditya.