Forum Discussion

Everseeker
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Directory Tree Structure

Anyone have a "recommended" file structure for all of your tests? I am thinking that they will end up well into the hundreds, so I want to set up something logical/flexible from the start. Also, anyone have any good file name conventions?

For the last, thinking of something along the lines of

150615_Test_SFC_Login

which is: Date (YYMMDD, so sorting works_Environment_Application_Specific Test)

• We name the tests after the part of the app they are testing, similar to what you have.  We use folders in TC to sort them further.

We don't use dates in the names because the date of the current file is easily found out in the directory and we use subversion to store them so older versions are easily accessible.

If there is a need for different sets of tests for different versions of the app, then we create a new project for that in TC.

• We name ours by application_formtype. Ex, for our Crf web base tests we name DymanicMenu_VisitInfo, DynamicMenu_VisualActuiy, etc. We to don't use dates as these tests may get modified over time

3 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

We name the tests after the part of the app they are testing, similar to what you have.  We use folders in TC to sort them further.

We don't use dates in the names because the date of the current file is easily found out in the directory and we use subversion to store them so older versions are easily accessible.

If there is a need for different sets of tests for different versions of the app, then we create a new project for that in TC.

blacy
    Contributor

We name ours by application_formtype. Ex, for our Crf web base tests we name DymanicMenu_VisitInfo, DynamicMenu_VisualActuiy, etc. We to don't use dates as these tests may get modified over time

Stub
    Occasional Contributor

Been wondering much the same myself. I have just started out exploring TC but I'm already looking at how I share common scripts stored in another project with an actual test project. I've used Add Existing and Add Unit References to achieve this so far.