Forum Discussion

LonewolfQA
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Desktop Automation Window Update

I am currently attempting to automate my companies software however every time there is a new build the program window name is being incremented for example if I record an automation the application ...
    tristaanogre
    6 years ago

Something else to look at has to do with the mapping... and this is probably where your solution is going to be.

If the properties being used for identifying the window contain values that change every build, then you may need to either consider using different properties for identification or use wildcards in the property values to account for the variability.

In your example, you mention a value that changes from lw00000 to lw00001.  If that value is one of the properties used for identifying the object, you could replace that value in your NameMapping to lw*.  This will make that property match no matter what application build it is.

Of course, this is a simplistic answer but it is one thing to consider.  As shankar_r suggested, we can give more directed answers if we can see the object browser properties of the window in question.

tristaanogre
    6 years ago

The wildcarding is not done in the test case itself but in the NameMapping.

In your project explorer, double click on the node that says "NameMapping" and, in the Aliases section, find where those objects are.

Basically, you need to modify the mapping criteria for your objects so that they handle the dynamic identification easier.

For more info, https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/name-mapping/managing/modifying/index.html