Forum Discussion

jsc
Regular Contributor
8 years ago

Cross Browser and Region Checkpoints

As the topic says.

Is it possible to use region checkpoints in any way with TestComplete cross browser stuff?

It is no problem to setup a test that runs in every browser. (e.g. chrome and edge)

But we assure most of the stuff with region checkpoints.

How can this be done, is it possible at all?

The visualization in edge slight differs from the one in chrome. So I need two different baseline pictures. (as I think)

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> So I need two different baseline pictures. (as I think)

I would agree because it is pretty common for different browsers to display the same html elements (slightly) differently.

jsc
      Regular Contributor

so there is no real cross-browser-testing when using region checkpoints as this problem has to be solved outside testcomplete base functionality?

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

> so there is no real cross-browser-testing when using region checkpoints

I would say that there is no real cross-OS/cross-resolution/cross-video chip/cross color scheme/etc. image comparison. Unless you are using very rough comparisons (i.e. with high tolerance) or specialized software/algorithms.

P.S. In general, verification via image comparison is the last resort approach. The only reasonable exception is visual testing area (see applitools.com as an example of this approach), but even there different images are stored as a baseline for different OS/resolution/etc.