Forum Discussion

vthomeschoolmom
Super Contributor
13 years ago

ComponentOne truedbgrid pro 8 in VB 6 ActiveX project

So I have a hard time accepting cannot be done. And I REALLY hate unstable scripts that won't run on different resolutions and whatnot. So I hate coordinates. I have a grid on a form. When the user clicks on the row selector, a button becomes enabled. I need to simulate clicking on the row selector. The native properties and methods of that grid do expose somethings that looks like it selects the row BUT selecting the row programatically does not fire the event that causes the change in the state of the button which I need enabled so I can click on it.

Is there a way to calculate the coordinates of say a particular row and column? Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get in there? Thanks

S

7 Replies

• For anyone who using this for a grid in storage mode, instead of

grid.Bookmark = CDbl(rowIndex + 1) ' In our example, the Bookmark property holds the 1-based row index and is of the Double type

Just do grid.Row = rowIndex
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    have you tried looking for the method on the grid or page or whatnot that executes when the event occurs?  This is what I've done before in the past.  So, you use the native methods to simulate the click, there's probably a native method then to simulate the event afterwards.  so you're code (in pseudo) would look like

MyGrid.RowSelector.NativeClick()

MyGrid.DoOnClickEvent()
  • I cannot because the event afterward that fires is declared private in VB. It is not accessible even to other code within the application, let alone to me.
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Hrm... there are ways of getting access to private declarations in automation.

According to the help

Note that by default protected and private properties are not displayed in the Object Browser and other dialogs and panels, however, these properties are available in scripts. To make them visible you should enable the Show hidden members option in the Engines - General Options dialog. See Access to Properties for more information.

Does this help?
  • Nope. It is not a property or method, it is an event. And a private one at that. I ran some tests trying to run code that is not exposed by the UI from a dummy VB6 app. I added a public sub to the form. I tried to call the public sub that is in the form. Can't. This makes sense based on the way ActiveX exposes stuff through properties and methods.

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Lane,

The TrueDBGrid control does have properties and methods for calculating coordinates of grid elements, such as RowTop, RowHeight, RecordSelectorWidth and so on. I've put this all together and, after some experimenting, come up with the following function that calculates coordinates of a grid row indicator given the row index and then clicks on it:

' Click the indicator of the grid row specified by the 0-based index

Sub ClickRowIndicator(grid, rowIndex)

If rowIndex < 0 Or rowIndex >= grid.ApproxCount Then

Log.Error "Row index " & rowIndex & " is out of bounds 0 .. " & grid.ApproxCount & "."

Exit Sub

End If

If Not grid.RecordSelectors Then

Log.Error "Cannot click the row indicator because they are not displayed in the grid."

Exit Sub

End If

' Set the current row and scroll the grid to make it visible

grid.Bookmark = CDbl(rowIndex + 1) ' In our example, the Bookmark property holds the 1-based row index and is of the Double type

Dim x, y, xTwips, yTwips

' Calculate coordinates of the row indicator, in VB twips

xTwips = grid.RecordSelectorWidth / 2

yTwips = grid.RowTop(grid.Row) + grid.RowHeight/2

' Convert twips to pixels

x = CLng(TwipsToPixelsX(xTwips))

y = CLng(TwipsToPixelsY(yTwips))

Log.Message "Clicking indicator of grid row " & rowIndex & "..."

grid.Click x, y

End Sub

Const TWIPSPERINCH = 1440

Function TwipsToPixelsX(XTwips)

Dim Xdpi

Xdpi = Win32API.GetDeviceCaps(Win32API.GetDC(0), Win32API.LOGPIXELSX)

TwipsToPixelsX = XTwips / TWIPSPERINCH * Xdpi

End Function

Function TwipsToPixelsY(YTwips)

Dim Ydpi

Ydpi = Win32API.GetDeviceCaps(Win32API.GetDC(0), Win32API.LOGPIXELSY)

TwipsToPixelsY = YTwips / TWIPSPERINCH * Ydpi

End Function

Usage example:

Sub Test

Dim grid

Set grid = Sys.Process("Ub2RsCls").VBObject("UB2ADO").VBObject("TDBGrid1")

ClickRowIndicator grid, 0

ClickRowIndicator grid, 3

ClickRowIndicator grid, 7

End Sub

You may need to tweak the code slightly for your specific grid object (e.g. if it uses splits). Anyway, give it a try and let me know how it works for you.