Forum Discussion

vitorpires
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Chrome SmartBear Test Extension doesn't work..

Chrome SmartBear Test Extension doesn't work.. tried different ways to extract the tcCrExtension.crx file and add it manually to the chrome extension's list but still show as grayed on top-right of the Chrome window 

P.S: followed the steps specified on https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/general/preparing-browsers/chrome-extension.html

• I had the same issue:

I followed these steps and it worked for me.

Check whether you have admin rights to your machine, you definitely need it.

--Uninstall both applications (Chrome &  Testcomplete)

-Reboot the machine

-Reinstall Chrome

-Reboot machine, do not start any browsers. Chrome especially should not be running -Reinstall TestComplete -Install the needed Extension for Chrome 64:

1. Open the chrome://extensions/ web page in Chrome.
    2. Locate the SmartBear Test Extension version 12.0.0 in the list of installed extensions. The extension is expected to be disabled without a possibility to re-enable it. Delete the extension from the list by clicking the Trash icon.
    3. Open the following page in the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smartbear-test-extension/gmhjclgpamdccpomoomknemhmmialaae

Install the extension by clicking the Add To Chrome button and confirming the requested permissions.

1. Once the extension is installed, TestComplete should be able to work with Google Chrome.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

7 Replies

SP123
    Occasional Contributor

I had the same issue:

I followed these steps and it worked for me.

Check whether you have admin rights to your machine, you definitely need it.

--Uninstall both applications (Chrome &  Testcomplete)

-Reboot the machine

-Reinstall Chrome

-Reboot machine, do not start any browsers. Chrome especially should not be running -Reinstall TestComplete -Install the needed Extension for Chrome 64:

1. Open the chrome://extensions/ web page in Chrome.
    2. Locate the SmartBear Test Extension version 12.0.0 in the list of installed extensions. The extension is expected to be disabled without a possibility to re-enable it. Delete the extension from the list by clicking the Trash icon.
    3. Open the following page in the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smartbear-test-extension/gmhjclgpamdccpomoomknemhmmialaae

Install the extension by clicking the Add To Chrome button and confirming the requested permissions.

1. Once the extension is installed, TestComplete should be able to work with Google Chrome.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

vitorpires
      Occasional Contributor

followed those steps and now the chrome's smartbeart extension is no longer disabled.. but when I use the TestComplete object spy, there's the same message that the extension is disabled or not installed.

SP123
        Occasional Contributor

I also had the same issue , finally once I had the admin rights to my PC, and after following the steps , it was fine.

Check whether you have admin rights to your machine, that's more important.

Clear your cache . Make sure Chrome is closed.

Follow the steps  mentioned above.

Give it a shot , goodluck!

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What version of TC.... and have you applied the necessary patches?

vitorpires
      Occasional Contributor

I'm using TestComplete version 12.0.122.7.. in the first manual instalation (also version 12.0.122.7) I was sucessfully able to display object spy on all elements in the browser, but then Smartbear Test Extension is unabled and object spy tool blame the extension is not installed or disabled.