Forum Discussion

joe_2
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Catastrophic failures when attempting Log.AppendFolder("message")

I'm running version 10.20.953.7

I've suddenly started getting catastrophic failures (so far they seem to hit randomly) when attempting to:

Log.AppendFolder(messageVariable)

My scripts are VBScript and this line is in a two line function that just appends a log folder and pushes the indicator text when it is called.

When it happens, I click the 'Ok' button on the warning popup, and TestComplete closes the popup.  The test status indicator now indicates that the test is still running, but no more test actions are taken.  Trying to stop the test changes the indicator to say that it is stopping, but it never finishes stopping.  The only way to actually make it stop is to use task manager to forcibly shut down TestComplete.

Anyone else seeing this?  Is it related to a recent Windows update or something?  Or have I corrupted something in my installation of TestComplete?

• Trying to think of things I might have changed, I remembered that I had recently turned on several performance monitors, just to see if they would be useful.  I never did make much use of that information, and so I turned them back off.  The crash has not happened again since I turned them off.  I'm going to tentatively say that something in the performance monitors was causing the problem, and move on.  It's not a solution/answer, but it'll do so long as I can continue testing.

3 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

How big is the log file?  If you have lots of images and/or a large number of test steps, the log could take a long time to write.

joe_2
      Contributor

This is not happening when it tries to write the log file, at the end of the script run.

It is happening at random while the script is running, and more often right at the beginning of script execution.

It happens when the following subroutine tries to run (VBScript)

The subroutine is called an average of 10 times per script test, and I'm running about 30 script tests per test session

Sub PushLog (StepDescription)
        Log.AppendFolder(stepDescription)
        Indicator.PushText(stepDescription)
      End Sub

I've been using this subroutine to organize my test logs since before version 10 was released.  

Only started getting the crashes in the last week or so.

It does not always crash, but when it does, it always crashes on the line to append a log folder.

There is also a PopLog subroutine that is paired with the PushLog routine

Together, they are used to improve readability of my test logs, and to post relevant messages to the progress indicator.

I just wanted to know if others are seeing failures when trying to append a log folder, or if it's just me.  

I'm trying to decide if I need to reinstall TestComplete.

joe_2
        Contributor

Trying to think of things I might have changed, I remembered that I had recently turned on several performance monitors, just to see if they would be useful.  I never did make much use of that information, and so I turned them back off.  The crash has not happened again since I turned them off.  I'm going to tentatively say that something in the performance monitors was causing the problem, and move on.  It's not a solution/answer, but it'll do so long as I can continue testing.