Forum Discussion

Michael_St_Pete
Contributor
14 years ago

Cannot see object in object browser window (new OS and new TC version)

Currently I cannot see the program that we are testing through the object browser.  When the computer had Windows XP and TC 7.x on it, there were no problems.  An upgrade occurred to Windows 7 and TC 8.0 and now the program cannot be seen in the object browser.  We have a 'log in' window that appears, when that one is closed, the main program comes up.  When the main program is running, it can be seen in the object browser.

8 Replies

• Hi Michael,

As I understand, the application's process is not present in the Object Browser window. If so, note that some processes might be filtered out. In particular, please check the state of the Show Tested Applications Only button located on the Object Browser's toolbar and Process Filter (see the "Process Filter Dialog" help topic ( http://www.automatedqa.com/support/viewarticle/11936/ ) for more information). Also, please check whether a sample test recorded with the application can be played back successfully.

• Hi Michael,

Do you launch TestComplete as administrator? Does the account used to launch TestComplete coincide with the account under which the application is running? Also, please check whether a sample test recorded with the application can be played back successfully.

• Test Complete is being run as an Administrator to Windows.  The computer is connected to a domain, but the user who is logged in is not a member of the domain.  The account used to run the application under is NOT the same as the one used to log into Windows.  When attempting to run the application under test as the account that is logged into Windows, one of the 'do you want to run this program' dialogs comes up.  Changing the RunMode for the tested app to a user who is a member of the domain allowed the application to start without having the 'do you want to run this program' dialog to appear.

Currently I am having difficulty getting the application to run like this.  It is listed in the processes, but it does not fully appear.  At the times when it used to show up, it was not listed in the Object Browser.

When running the application with the RunMode set to 'Simple', the error log states "Type Message Time Priority Has Picture Link

Unable to run "C:\PonemahTesting\DailyBuild\PPP3.exe". 9:42:27 Highest  "

• Hi Michael,

It looks like you actually mean that TestComplete is run in usual mode, but the account used to log in is a local admin. Please try running TestComplete via the "Run as administrator" context menu command as described in the "Testing Applications With TestComplete Under Windows Vista and Later Operating Systems" (http://www.automatedqa.com/support/viewarticle/11935/) help topic. As for the tested application, it looks like it can only be launched under a specific account (the one you originally used), so I recommend that you keep using that account.

• It looks like that was the issue.  Thank you so much.  I know at one time I saw a dialog asking if I wanted to run the program as an administrator and then I was able to see the tested app.

Regarding the information that you had listed:

"As for the tested application, it looks like it can only be launched under a specific account (the one you originally used), so I recommend that you keep using that account."

Is there any way (other than modifying the Windows UAC settings) that the UAC message asking 'do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer' can be bypassed by Test Complete?  That is the only reason that I am using an alternate account to log into the tested app.

Thanks again.

• Hi Michael,

The dialog is designed specially to force a human (not a program) make the choice and thus prevent malware from being run. Therefore, this button cannot be clicked automatically.