Forum Discussion

FlipFlorey
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Cannot find Chrome PLUS Smartbear Test Extension not working

Upgraded to TestComplete 12.5

Now when I try to run a test which opens Chrome it opens Chrome, then gives me a "Waiting for Page('*')" and just sits there. It cannot seem to find the Chrome window.

Also, while trying to diagnose what the problem is exactly, I attempted to record a new test.

I open Chrome and when I try to do anything, it gives me a...
"SmartBear Test Extension for Chrome is not enabled. TestComplete will not record any actions in Chrome until you enable it.  To enable the extension, click "Enable this item" at the top of the page."
and navigates to the Extension location in the Chrome store.

It is installed already.
It is enabled.
I have tried updating Chrome, uninstalling the TC extension, reinstalling it, and re-enabling it.
It is still not working.

Every test I have designed hinges on this functionality.

HELP!

FlipFlorey
    6 years ago

SOLVED:

Finally got on a phone call with SmartBear Support.

After digging through files and doing some detective work with Devin...

Apparently there were some files missing inside of my SmartBear Extension file.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome 65.

Uninstalled and reinstalled TestComplete 12.50

I must admit that I was apprehensive to uninstall TestComplete, had a weird licensing issue last time, and with the boss on vacation I was afraid it would resurface if I attempted it again.

Would not suggest installing Chrome 66 at all! I think that was the crux of my problem. Methodically walking through the problem with TC support was the way to go. Learned a lot too!

Thanks SmartBears!

12 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

As a small addition to Robert's reply I would like to note that it is a good practice to keep your test environment in a controlled state. Among other means this can be achieved by disabling uncontrolled auto-updates for different software (especially, for Chrome as it is well known by minimal backward compatibility) and do test environment upgrade in a controlled manner after proper testing.

FlipFlorey
      Occasional Contributor

Hello Alex,

I do agree with you about having my browser in a non-updating state. And I have done that in the past.

But our end users will be using updated Chrome browsers to access the application. And I do strive to recreate as close to production that I can. Plus, this is the first time I have updated the browser in a while.

I understand both sides of this coin, just a bit frustrating. I guess I will try downloading Chrome 65 and see if that works.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

I am not saying that you must keep ages old versions. :) But I am saying that the updating should be done in a controlled manner to be able to stop and have at least something available to execute tests at. And not appear in the situation when you have planned delivery tomorrow and all broken test environments today. :)
        So, at least, you will be able to say that "we tested at Chrome 65 but something might not work with Chrome 66". This looks better to me than "we were not able to execute our tests because Chrome updated on all our test environments and this broke our tests". :)
        The policy of SmartBear (note, I am not their representative) is that they do not rely on early product betas (Chrome, Windows, iOS, ...) and add support for the final released versions soon after their release.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Chrome JUST upgraded recently to Chrome version 66... TestComplete 12.5 out of the box contains support for Chrome up through version 65.  Currently, best I can tell, there isn't a patch for Chrome 66 yet.  I'm guessing that this is your issue. Your best bet is to contact support directly at https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete and note that you need to have TestComplete support Chrome 66.