Forum Discussion

OlgaP
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Can you add expected and actual pictures to manual Log?

Hello,

So Test Complete has a generic log of type "Event" that has expected and actual pictures (without actually comparing them). Like that:

TestComplete_genericLog

When i add my own log of type "Event" there is only 1 parameter for picture, so i get only 1 picture in the log:

MyLog

is there a way for your manual logs to looks like Test Complete autologs with expected and actual picture side by side (without TestComplete comparing those pics - just storing) ?

What i'm trying to do is to add the step that gives you two pics side by side that can be reviewed after the run and compared manually. Our application uses dynamic data and I don't think TestComplete will be able to pass pic comparison - it has to be done manually.

Thanks,

Olga

13 Replies

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

AlexKaras  Olga doesn't want the compare to be done because it might trigger an error in the test.  She actually just wants the two images posted so someone can view them later.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Marsha_R:

Correct. In this case she should specify the message type to be just a message.

OlgaP
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Alex! That looks like a solution for me. I can put the tolerance very high in this case it will always pass, and save theboth images. And the tester can check the screenshots later.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

I see you're clicking buttons on the calculator object, can you not see the result as text?  That would be easier to compare than the images.  The images will also make your logs really large, so if we can help you find a way around those, it would probably be better.

OlgaP
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Marsha,

sorry, probably the calculator screenshots were misleading... It was only used as an example as i can't post the screenshots of our application.

The idea is that we need to save the screenshot of some charts for later manual visual check. And we do compare the values behind the scenes but it is important for us to check that the chart is displayed correctly.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Got it.

How would TestComplete know what an expected image is if you're not doing a comparison?  It can show you the actual image (which is what you've already seen in the log), but how would you tell it what the expected image is?