Forum Discussion

ritesh_chauhan
Contributor
9 years ago

Can TC show seperate logs for PASS and FAIL result in Project Logs

Can TestComplete show seperate logs for PASS and FAIL result in Project Logs (Summary>>Project Test Item Results)?

We are able to see Sucess and Error but we want to keep error (for System issue/crashs etc.) and fail (for requirement failure) results seperately.

Please provide some inputs.

8 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

I think you can see from the graph you attached that TestComplete consideres an error to be the same thing as a failure.  

Is there something in your tests that gives a different result between a software issue and a hardware issue?

ritesh_chauhan
      Contributor

Actual what we need is that we should be able to distinguish between the two types of failures in the output graph:

1. Failure due to any random issue (where requirement execution was interupted by some system issue).

2. Requirement failure (application under test did not work as per requirement). 

djadhav
        Regular Contributor

The way I do it is by customizing log messages:

1) For requirement fail condition: I log messages to the project log as below

Log.Error("REQ:" & log_message) where log_message is a message string that I want to show e.g. "Email address not verified"

2) For requirement pass condition: I log messages to the project log as below

Log.Checkpoint("REQ:" & log_message) where log_message is a message string that I want to show e.g. "Login success message displayed"

Then, we can filter the log as shown to display only the requirement failure and success messages.

TestComplete_Logging.png

Since we are adding the search condition ('REQ'), any other non requirement related issues will not show.