Forum Discussion

JACsds
New Contributor
2 years ago

Best Practices for running out of date browsers

Hi,

Are there any recommendations or commonly used methods to mitigate the security risks from out of date browsers and the disabled features from the Preparing for Web Testing pages here - https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/general/preparing-browsers/firefox.html

I.e. browser isolation with something like Cigloo if that would work, what is the most common security mitigation?

Thanks

6 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

The link that you have provided, is for setting up Firefox for web testing using TestComplete. If these are not set, then TestComplete may fail to record or simulate user actions over web pages correctly

JACsds
      New Contributor

Yes I am aware, I'm asking what the usual mitigation is when these are set since the browser is vulnerable when it's out of date with security features disabled. Other than a restricted VM

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I don't see how the browser will be vulnerable, if you are using the browser to only test your web application. If your web application expects certain features of the browser to be enabled, then it should inform the user, and not continue to the main webpage.

JACsds
      New Contributor

I'm looking for more than just a policy, I need a technical control that isn't a host firewall as other browsers won't just be used for testing. If there is a trustworthy firefox content blocker extension or if TestComplete should always run on a test environment with no alternative browsers with access outside of the application. I'm looking for the general best practices and commonly used setups when using TestComplete.

JACsds
      New Contributor

If you don't have an answer, it would be best not to reply.