Forum Discussion

billm
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago

Bad Licensing

I just wanted to make a comment about the licensing.  I develop in virtual machines, but not just at one location so the license manager makes no sense in my case.  For example I may be working on a project at my office, then at a clients location using their computer to host my VM, or I may bring my laptop to the clients location to workout small enhancements and bugs.  Once I traveled to Peru and used my wifes laptop to work on projects.  Your new licensing makes this impossible because of the requirement that the license manager has to run on a physical box.  Btw - that is crazy in iteslf because IT servers are going virtual.

For me the old licensing worked best, where you could install it anywhere you needed it and without external services required.

In the end, its a great product but you simply lost a customer due to the licensing requirements.

10 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Bill,

I would agree that the previous licensing was more handy, but I think that because "[previously] you could install it anywhere", this was the reason for the new licensing scheme.

However, I don't think that the current situation is that bad. Even if you are using VMs, they are running on the read hardware and now it is possible to install license manager on the boxes that host VM hypervisors. So no real problem here.

For the business trips you can install license manager on your laptop, deactivate your license on your regular license manager and activate it (license) on the laptop. Then, when on client side and while working on their hardware, you'll need to make your laptop accessible over the network. If you are not working on their hardware and run TestComplete on your laptop, then you'll need no additional settings.

License manager is pretty configurable thing and I would recommend to go through its documentation at http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/63451/.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Bill,

Our licensing system has significantly changed since TestComplete 7 and earlier. Activating licenses on VMs has some limitations now, but it still can be performed. I suggest that you contact our TestComplete Support team to discuss this possibility. Perhaps, this would work for you.

billm
    Occasional Contributor
    I have a server running on AWS, is it possible to install the license manager on that?

billm
    Occasional Contributor
    <<but I think that because "[previously] you could install it anywhere", this was the reason for the new licensing scheme.>>

I would be curious is SmartBear did a followup on the impact this has had on their bottom line.  Basically, to see if the new licensing has proved its intentions.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Bill,

I have a server running on AWS, is it possible to install the license manager on that?

It's impossible to activate a license on a cloud machine. Activating on a VM is possible only when you can make sure that the computer that hosts this VM won't be changed. In case of AWS, you cannot control the host. So, this is one of the limitations on activating licenses on a VM.

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    To the OP:

I agree that the licensing can be painful sometimes, but not in the particular situation you described. Your VM should be installed on a server with Terminal Services installed, or some other remote access program like VNC or LogMeIn, and that server should have access to the license server. Now wherever you are in the world, whichever computer you are on, you only need to remotely connect to your server and start working. In your particular case you should have no issue whatsoever.
    billm
    Occasional Contributor
    <<Your VM should be installed on a server with Terminal Services installed, or some other remote access program like VNC or LogMeIn, and that server should have access to the license server. Now wherever you are in the world, whichever computer you are on, you only need to remotely connect to your server and start working>>

Well, thanks for the recommendation however,

one of my projects access a laser controller which is hooked to my computer and transfers data at a high rate with nessesarily low latency, has the ability to play CD roms or mp3 files, this software also uses OpenGL.  I plan to test out app tethering,which requires the phone to be on the same network.  

Another one accesses a database and outlook exchange on a local network at a clients location.

Another one uses Hasp hardware key which is connected to the physical box I am working on.

I also plan to start developing and testing Android apps, which requires a local hookup.

A can't use RDP or any version of it for software development in the above cases.

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    I think you misunderstand what automated testing is for. Tools like TestComplete are not made to act as a troubleshooting bench that you can use to diagnose problems at your clients. They are made so that you can design generic tests to make sure your code or UI works correctly. When you design your tests, you should not need access to the specific hardware or data that your client uses.

For your laser controller for example, the fact that the controller reads music properly is (or should be) irrelevant, the only thing you need to make sure of is that the proper commands are output from your application to the device. You don't need the actual device for that.

For your Exchange app, you only need an Exchange server and database, not necessarily the specific one from your client.

For android dev, you only need an emulator.

I manage a bank of 45 VMs that runs about 4500 tests continuously on our app, and not one of those tests requires a specific machine to run on. You just need to rethink your testing strategy.
    billm
    Occasional Contributor
    <<I think you misunderstand what automated testing is for.>>

Then I think I posted this in the wrong forumn.  I am interested in the profiler.