Forum Discussion

Christian_N_DK
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Automation Test flow execution between desktop, mobile, web and soap in TC

Hi,

I am looking into doing some end to end verifications. This means getting some test up, where I need to get some scenarios tuning whitch will function with desktop, mobile, web and soap.

Do any one have experience with this? 

And how to handle the initial setup with the test distribution? 

I know these things are hard to manage, due to system complexity. But this is not what I asking :-)

• Hi Christian,

If I got your question right: you are wondering if it is possible to do something in one (desktop) application and then do something else in another (mobile) application within the same (end-to-end) test, aren't you?

If my understanding is correct, then this is definitely possible in TestComplete, can be done even on the same test box and does not require any special setup.

Sample pseudocode test skeleton:

var desktopApp = TestedApps.DesktopApp.Run();

var mobileApp = TestedApps.MobileApp.Run();

Browsers.Item(btFirefox).Run('http://www.example.com/testedPage);

var webPage = Sys.Browser('firefox').Page('*tested page*');

desktopApp.mainMenu.Button('Create Demo Order').Click();

mobileApp.Layout('').List.Item('Create Demo Order').Button('Approve').Click();

webPage.Keys('[F5]');

webPage.Wait();

VerifyOrderSigned(webPage.ordersTable);

tristaanogre
    6 years ago

The selection of "Generic Windows Application" in the project creation wizard does not lock you into only testing those kinds of applications.  That step in the wizard simply determines what components are added to the test project by default.  

So... short answer, yes, you can use Generic Windows Application

7 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Christian,

If I got your question right: you are wondering if it is possible to do something in one (desktop) application and then do something else in another (mobile) application within the same (end-to-end) test, aren't you?

If my understanding is correct, then this is definitely possible in TestComplete, can be done even on the same test box and does not require any special setup.

Sample pseudocode test skeleton:

var desktopApp = TestedApps.DesktopApp.Run();

var mobileApp = TestedApps.MobileApp.Run();

Browsers.Item(btFirefox).Run('http://www.example.com/testedPage);

var webPage = Sys.Browser('firefox').Page('*tested page*');

desktopApp.mainMenu.Button('Create Demo Order').Click();

mobileApp.Layout('').List.Item('Create Demo Order').Button('Approve').Click();

webPage.Keys('[F5]');

webPage.Wait();

VerifyOrderSigned(webPage.ordersTable);

Christian_N_DK
      Contributor

You've got it right Alex.

I have a possible scenario of doing some actions of: Doing some actions in a desktop app, which will save some settings to a device. The device will be hoocked up to an mobile app, which too can access these settings. And vice versa. Verifications using a web check, can also be an option in the future.

Which project type, would be recommended for this type of "End-toEnd" testing? Can a "Generic Windows Application" project handle everything well? With accessing the objects in detail too?

I have been solely testing desktop for the last few years. This is why I am asking.

Christian

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

The selection of "Generic Windows Application" in the project creation wizard does not lock you into only testing those kinds of applications.  That step in the wizard simply determines what components are added to the test project by default.  

So... short answer, yes, you can use Generic Windows Application

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  Do you mean that you want to be able to run the same test scenario in multiple platforms?  Or that you have tests that cross platforms that you want to run, end to end, in the same test scenario?  Can you give an example of what you're looking for?