Forum Discussion

OV
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago

Add object button recognized as the same add object button from another different page

Hi,

In my script i'm moving from one page to another, in the 1st page i'm adding devices by selecting the object and then click a + sign that open a drop down list in which i select from a value. then i move to a different page - programming and again select an object ,click the + sign in order to select a value. my problem is that tc recognize this + sign menu in these two different pages as the same menu although it is 2 different menus with different number of values and different values. tc won't recognized the different and i won't be able to select a value by its name, probably it's possible to select a value by index but i want to be able to select value by its name.

Does anyone know why the + sign recognized as the same object?

Thx

12 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a mapping issue again.... that the identifying factors you're using for the one control matches the other control.  If they are two different controls, then they should be mapped differently.  There is some identifying factor that is missing that keeps them distinct.  Spend the time examining the two controls in the object browser and add the appropriate distinguishing properties to your mapping to make them distinct in your code.

OV
      Frequent Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thank you.

"add the appropriate distinguishing properties to your mapping to make them distinct"

I some more explanation about "Ambiguous recognition of the tested object", I had this issue in the past and solved it but to be honest i fall into that again and try to add a unique property value but it doesn't work. what if there's no unique property to identify the object in 100%? should i ask our developers to create one? not sure what to do in this case.

Thx

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Identifying an object may not be a single unique property... but a combination.  There may be more than one property where the combination of them creates a unique identification.  This is what I was implying, that you would add an additional property to your existing list of properties that would distinguish the two objects.  

If, however, you cannot find such a thing, then yes, go to your developers and see if there's something that they can do to help you more clearly identify the objects.