cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vSpere console Keys() issue

Occasional Contributor

vSpere console Keys() issue

We're just starting to work with TestComplete 14.0.317.7 and we're having issues using it to automate actions via a vSphere console session. There is no problem opening a local application (ex. Notepad) and using the Keys() method to enter text. But when we launch vSphere console, make it fullscreen, and try to use the Keys() method to enter the username and password it duplicates each keystroke 14 times!

ex.

MKSEmbedded.Keys("admin")

It then enters into the username window of the Windows VM in vsphere console as aaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddmmmmmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

We already removed the delay between events to 0 and the keystroke delay to 0. And this only happens in the console window. I should add that we follow this by hitting tab to get to the password entry box and it also simulates 14 [tab] key presses.

We can't install and run TestComplete on the remote VM and are fully aware that we'll need to use image-based (image recognition) automation for scripting the vSphere console and RDP portions of our tests.

10 REPLIES 10
Community Hero

Re: vSpere console Keys() issue

That's a new one on me.  Generally speaking, while you can send keys to any number of screens and applications, it has to do with how that application interprets that "Keys" method.  Essentially, TestComplete "hooks" into the object and the low-level Windows keyboard events to send those commands.  Many times, those kinds of console windows have their own filters and hooks (like, to send CTRL-ALT-DELETE you need to use a different set of keystrokes, etc).  So, I'm guessing that's what you're running into, something in the intercept of vSphere console is messing with those keystrokes.

Have you tried opening it via a standard RDP connection rather than vSphere?

Also, while I understand not putting the full TC on that remote box, is there any problem with putting TestExecute on there?

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Community Hero

Do you have to use Keys?   Is there a Text option?

Community Hero

@Marsha_R wrote:

Do you have to use Keys?   Is there a Text option?

In this case since it's via the console of vSphere, the specific components aren't exposed so it HAS to be Keys... similar to if you need to automate via a Citrix or RDP connection.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.

Extensions available
Community Hero

Okay then how about using command line for the vSphere instead of the UI?

Community Hero

Hi,

Anyway, this is a good reason for direct Support request via the https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete form.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Occasional Contributor

We did try using RDP and did not have the same issue (characters appear as expected and not duplicated).

Occasional Contributor

We cannot use the vSphere CLI since we're trying to interact with the desktop of the remote machine. This means configuring system settings, installing applications and configuration application settings on the remote machine using the vSphere console to access the desktop. The remote system may not have network connections and allow RDP or other connections via network so we're using the desktop capability of vSphere.

Community Hero

It definitely sounds like something in the buffers between the regular desktop and the consoled desktop in the vSphere environment.  AS @AlexKaras mentioned, might be worth going directly to SmartBear support to see if they have any options for you.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
----

Extensions available
Occasional Contributor

As another data point, we used the VMware ESXi web UI to launch the VM console and test into that window, seems to work fine. We'll also try VMware's vmrc as another approach to get a console for a VM. Definitely sounds like an isolated issue between TestComplete and the vSphere client console thus far.

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
6 / 7 API Testing Mistakes Video
Top Kudoed Authors