Forum Discussion

Frits
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

dotNET generic methods

Hi there all!    Currently I am trying to test our software (C# based). I have "imported" the DLL files through the CLR Bridge and was able to access most of the properties and methods without any...
    5 years ago

Here's the thing with the CLR bridge.  While it CAN be used for what you're trying to do (import the DLLs and running them through tests), that's not what it was intended for.  The intention is to import DLLs via the CLR bridge for use in building tests against other applications.

What you might want to investigate is https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/advanced/using-external-functions/calling-from-dll/about.html

Alternatively, perhaps have your developers build a harness or stub of some sort that allows you to make UI calls to exercise the DLL functions.

I've done both in the past with a DLL that we developed to do tax rule calculations for an online webstore.  Worked pretty well.

This is not to say that the CLR bridge won't work for you, but there may be a better solution that might be more geared for your needs.