Forum Discussion

sonya_m
SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
5 years ago

Working from home? How is it?

Howdy,

Day N.
Still working from home.

I turned out that I can cook! And even wash the dishes :smileyhappy: It’s almost as relaxing as going home from work through the park.

Also, I’ve found out what my cat does while I am away all day. Nothing. He literally sleeps for 10 hours straight. On the bright side – my Zoom meetings have a great background now - my cat. During video calls all my colleagues can see him sleeping on the back of the armchair :cathappy:

So many of us are working remotely nowadays. Some already got used to it. For me (and for many people, I suppose) this is a brand-new experience. 

Let’s try helping each other out by sharing advice and our personal experience of how to make working from home more productive and, more importantly, comfortable.

Leave your comments here:

What are the best practices of working remotely?

Say 'Hi' to my cat Marty

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

sonya_m 

You have 1 cat... I have three... and they are ALWAYS sitting in front of my monitor.  Rather hard to work when the screen is all fuzzy. :-)

Generally, I do OK here.  I have this LOVELY back deck that overlooks a wood lot and stream behind my house.  On nice days, I sit back there with my laptop and write automation code to my hearts content.

My work from home spaceTangoBonitaClyde

BenoitB
      Community Hero

Robert, seem a lovely place you are !

Remote working is a habit that i have but only not-so-long duration and normally without children.

So, with two children at home, and my wife working at hospital (warm kisses to her and everyone helping others) it's no the same. And especially having a poor network rate .. so using my phone as wifi hotspot (which is perfectly running btw and hopefully i've a very big data plan)

The good things, it was a very long time that i wasn't on this forum so i'm back (i was here with another pseudo)

!

Oh .. btw for me it's dog .. Here's Pearl my young border-collie and i have a lovely small forest near home.

jhall68w
        Contributor

I work remotely full time, but occassionaly I work in the office (maybe 1 or 2 days a couple times a year).  What would take me 8 hours to complete in the office, I can usually complete in 5 hours when at home. So long story short I can complete a lot more now than I could when I worked in the office.  When I am in the office there is so much side bar conversations or interruptions.  When working remotely, I start the day with work that I know needs to be done and I can just work. No interruptions.

Now with this COVID-19 and schools being closed, my first grader is now home with me.  I am not sure what we would of done if both my wife and I had to be in the office.  

There are many forms of communication I use with the rest of the team that I am on, so talking to each other is never an issue.  

My wife and I have an understanding that I will not do any house work during my working hours, unless it is over my lunch.  I work and treat the day just as I am in the office.

GradyJr
      Contributor

I would love to be writing automation from home right now. Unfortunately, right at the outset of the pandemic, my company terminated 33 employees, myself included. I was really getting the hang of TestComplete. In the six months I was with them I developed about 150 automation scripts for both the desktop and the web-based applications used by our banking clients. I have been looking for QA Analyst/Engineer positions with local companies but haven't found any that utilize TestComplete.

If there are any employers out there that want to hire me to code TestComplete scripts remotely I'm available. Send me a link where I can apply. I can work on a contract basis if necessary. My resume is attached.

David Hundley