Forum Discussion

cv_web
New Contributor
7 years ago

Why are Hangul characters displaying as squares?

I am attempting to test with Hangul characters. I have no problem with Chinese or Japanese characters sets but Korean is being problematic and is displaying as squares. I have found one previous post and followed the suggestion to have the look and feel set to the default in the UI settings. This suggestion did not work. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

3 Replies

cv_web
      New Contributor

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't think it applies to my situation. I am testing with a web service that uses UTF-8 encoding and natively supports Hangul. I have my encoding set to UTF-8. I can input Hangul in other applications without issue and do not want to change the region and language settings on my computer. I frequently test with many different characters sets and language as input elements to the web service that I am working with. The web service itself is in English. So far the only character set that I have had issues with is Hangul.

I can have my response print out in Latin characters so I can confirm the service is working. However, I would like to be able to test with the native script and have the Hangul characters display properly.

Thank you

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

> I am testing with a web service that uses UTF-8 encoding

Does this mean that you are calling your web service via XMLHTTP object or TestComplete's Web Services functionality and returned Korean characters are displayed as squares?

If my guess is correct, can it be that incorrect encoding charset is specified in the web service response?

Can you provide at least the screenshot of the problem for better understanding?