Forum Discussion

Ryu
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Way to check column with ADODriver?

I have ADODriver executing a SQL query that returns a small 3x2 table, and the value that I am needing is in the second column.  Now, it isn't it's own column in the database, but rather a count of all of the matching entries in the database.  I know I can use ADODriver to look at different rows, but what about different columns?  I tried .Value[row][column] and it instead gave me the second character in the string in the first cell in the row (whereas .Value[row] returns the full value).  Can I get it to see the second column, or will I need to rewrite the query to just return one column?  Thanks!

• The parameter of "Value" indicates the column in the current row.  The ADODriver returns a collection of rows you iterate through and then you specify which column you want to work with using Value(<column indicator>).

So, you'll iterate through the rows using a while loop and then, each time through the loop, you reference Value(1).  That will return the value of the 2nd column (column index is based on zero).

See https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/ddtdriver/value.html

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

The parameter of "Value" indicates the column in the current row.  The ADODriver returns a collection of rows you iterate through and then you specify which column you want to work with using Value(<column indicator>).

So, you'll iterate through the rows using a while loop and then, each time through the loop, you reference Value(1).  That will return the value of the 2nd column (column index is based on zero).

See https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/ddtdriver/value.html

Ryu
      Contributor

Ah, I guess I got confused because the function we have that reads the DB has "row" passed as a parameter.  I suppose they meant "col" and just misnamed it.  I see, thanks!

Ryu
      Contributor

tristaanogre, sorry to ask, but can you give me an example of how to loop through the rows?  I can't seem to find one in the support docs, and what I am trying is not working (telling me the object I am trying to index is not indexable).  I'll keep trying different things in the meantime.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Sure...  Now, this is just kind of psedo code, but this should be what you're looking for

var driverObject = DDT.ADODriver(<connection string>, <table name>);
        driverObject.ADOCommandObject.CommandText = <SQL Query> //This is optional.... you mentioned you're doing a custom query
        while (!driverObject.EOF){
            Log.Message('Value of 2nd column is' + driverObject.Value(1));
            driverObject.Next();
        }

There's sample code for doing an Excel driver showing the while loop... but the concept is the same... 

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/ddtdriver/next.html