Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Recording of Test Execution is Easy

Re: Video Recording of Test Execution is Easy

Hello,

My TC Version is: 12.50.4142.7 x86

My VLC Version is: 3.0.1.0

I have installed the extension and I have the Start/Stop Video Recording option available in my operations. VLC is installed and I was able to record my screen manually. (Starting it from VLC)

When I run the recording in a test I get a warning:

"Unable to start the recording. The VLC recorder is not installed. See Additional Info for details"

And in the Additional Info is:

"The video recorder uses the recording functionallity of the VLC framework.

Download the recorder from the following website and install it:

https://www.videolan.org/"

What did I do wrong? Is there any way to sepcify the path to the VLC.exe?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kai

Community Hero

Hi Kai,

> Is there any way to sepcify the path to the VLC.exe?

Yes it is. Unpack the VideoRecorder.tcx file (this is just a zip archive) and go through the code in the script.sj file.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Staff

Hi, @Kjuetting

This is because you have TC x86 and VLC player x64 installed. x86 process cannot see values of x64 Windows Registry.

So, you can

* just use TestComplete x64,

* or install x86 version of VLC:

https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.2/win32/vlc-3.0.2-win32.exe

* or modify extension (yes, it's just zip archive) in isInstalled and getPath methods of RecorderInfo object.

Also feel free to create an issue here:

https://github.com/SmartBear/testcomplete-videorecorder-extension/issues

Maybe somebody (or me) fix it in near future.

Alexander Gubarev
TestComplete QA Engineer
Community Hero

I have a question here, more general:

The github repository, is it open for others to upload extensions and extension code?  Or is this strictly for SmartBear staff?  One of the things that has been tossed around as an idea is a central repository for anyone who wants to share their script extensions to put their stuff.  I have my own that I work with and have made available to others on bitbucket but it would be nice to have an "official" SmartBear shared extension repository.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

I’ll be talking about “Hidden Treasures – TestComplete Script Extensions” at #SBConnect in October! Who’s joining me? Click here for tickets
Extensions available

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reaching out. 

You are correct, we are exploring a shared repository that TestComplete users can post their work in to. We're open to suggestions about what the best forum would be.

The idea of a shared GitHub repository could be a great start, but I'm open to other options as well. Once we decide on this, hopefully very soon, I'll send out a note so you can post your work there. 

I appreciate you taking interest here Robert as we strive to make TestComplete as open as possible. Utilities from you and other members will be highly beneficial to the community. 

Thanks,

Prashant

Hello, I have a quick question.

In the "readme" it states that 

• On systems with multiple display devices, it records the main display only.

I currently use a laptop connected to two different monitors with the desktop being extended across both displays. When a test is recorded both screens are recorded side by side. Is this the correct functionality?

Community Hero

Hi,

The functionality of this script extension is to look for the VLC application and to start it providing some command-line parameters.

The above means that you should check with VLC documentation whether the observed behavior is correct one.

If the observed behavior can be controlled by some command-line parameter, you can check extension's source code (see above for description on how to do this) and add the required command-line parameter to meet your needs.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Staff

Yes, there are some changes in VCL player itself. The functionality was described for early versions of VLC player (which is also supported). 

If you want to customize this behaviour I'd reccomend to use 

--screen-left

parameter.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help

Alexander Gubarev
TestComplete QA Engineer
Share Your Stories
Read Latest News
Top Kudoed Authors