Forum Discussion

a565350
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Unable to update Object Search Strategy setting in TestComplete 11.0.644.7

Hi All,

I am using TestComplete 11.0.644.7 and want to update the Object Search strategy setting from default Depth First Search to Breadth First Search. I tried exploring Tools > Options , Current Project Properties > Playback settings but could not find any way to update object search strategy. Can someone pls help.

Thanks

Kishor

6 Replies

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

Search strategy was introduce in Test Complete 12 

More details 

as per documents....

"Depth-first - Search as deep as possible in each branch of the object tree before moving to the next branch. This is the default setting for projects created in TestComplete versions up to 11."

doesn't say what strategy used in ver 11 to 12 

a565350
      Occasional Contributor

Does that mean we cannot update search strategy in TestComplete versions lower than 12 ?

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

NisHera wrote:

Search strategy was introduce in Test Complete 12 

More details 

as per documents....

"Depth-first - Search as deep as possible in each branch of the object tree before moving to the next branch. This is the default setting for projects created in TestComplete versions up to 11."

doesn't say what strategy used in ver 11 to 12 

Depth first was used in all versions, including 11.  Version 12 introduced the new setting of Breadth-first. Depth-first is default for versions 11 and under.  Breadth-first is default for 12. This setting is to introduce the ability, in version 12, to choose, on a project to project basis, which version to use.

a565350, because the Breadth-first was only introduced in 12, there is no setting to change this in any version less than 12.  If you want to change this setting, you'll need to upgrade.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

a565350 wrote:

Hi All,

I am using TestComplete 11.0.644.7 and want to update the Object Search strategy setting from default Depth First Search to Breadth First Search. I tried exploring Tools > Options , Current Project Properties > Playback settings but could not find any way to update object search strategy. Can someone pls help.

Thanks

Kishor

a565350 wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks

Kishor

Note, when referencing documentation online, SmartBear gives indication of what version the documentation applies to. Whenever they generate a new version, the documentation is updated to match.   So, it is to be understood that if you are looking at what's available on the web, if you're not running the latest version, the documentation will not always match.  Matching documentation is ALWAYS installed with the version you're running so that should be your first point of reference.