Forum Discussion

JennyH11
Frequent Contributor
6 years ago

Unable to load TestComplete due to "Either the installation files or registry data are corrupted..."

Hi Guys

I'm having a problem loading TestComplete.... When I try to load I get the attached error.

Has anyone seen this before? Have you any tips or advice to resolve?

I've already tried the following:

- Restarted the PC

- Repaired the TestComplete installation via add\remove programs

- Uninstalled TestComplete, then reinstalled

- Loaded the aforementioned file (TCHookX86.exe) and then loaded the TestComplete application

- Running TCHookX86 as administrator, then loaded TestComplete

- Run TestComplete as administrator

- Made sure that any Windows updates have been installed

I'm wondering if when the application was installed something has been left behind in the registry, so my next step is to uninstall TestComplete, then check the registry, then reinstall...

I raised the issue with Support yesterday morning and though I have heard back it has not resolved my issue. Therefore, I thought I would put this out there and see if anybody has experienced this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks,

Jenny

3 Replies

JennyH11
    Frequent Contributor

For information...

I have discovered that a full or corrupt external HDD that was connected to the machine running TestComplete was causing the issue. It's suspected that required machine resources were being taken up by this drive and were preventing TestComplete from loading as normal. Once disconnected, it appears to working fine again.

Just in case anybody else sees this issue it's worth checking.

AdamUK
    Occasional Contributor

I've been getting that a lot.  I got it after I tried to install TestExecute and apply browser patches.

Restarting my computer usually fixes it.  But I have had to re-install TestComplete once.

JennyH11
      Frequent Contributor

Hi AdamUK

Thanks! It's nice to know it's not just me!

Out of interest, when you uninstalled TestComplete was there anything you had to do to ensure a clean uninstall? I've checked and it leaves behind the TestComplete 12 folder (not sure if it created it in the first place tbh) and also a couple of registry keys one with a few DWORD values called PATCH...

Any idea if you had to do manual work in between the uninstall & reinstall?