Forum Discussion

amit_bansal
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Typing in a textarea from a variable

I am using keys method to type in a textarea and the value is saved in a variable. When I am passing this values in Keys Method. It using control keys and opens a new tab and start search in browser....
    tristaanogre
    6 years ago

Is "SetText" and available option for that textarea?  You can try that instead of keys.

I don't see anything specific in that XML that would create the behavior you're experiencing.  However, the "!" character is a "SHIFT" key and the [ usually denotes, in the Keys method, the start of a special keystroke of some sort like an F key or Esc (see https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/test-objects/members/common-for-sys-desktop-pda/keys-method-sys-desktop-object.html#parameters). So, what may be happening is that those keystrokes are triggered and may be causing any number of un-expected behaviors as TestComplete attempts to turn them into the special commands.  Whenever you use the "Keys" method/action in TestComplete, you need to take these special characters in consideration and "escape" them so that they properly enter.

This is why I suggest "SetText" because that doesn't trigger these special characters.

amit_bansal
    6 years ago

Hi

I did a workaround by doing a setTEXT in a textbox and then cutting from Textbox and pasting in a Textarea. It worked that ways.

Thanks for your guidance.