Forum Discussion

maximojo
Frequent Contributor
8 years ago

Triggering automated tests from Bamboo

Hi all,

I know this is a somewhat trodden topic but just wondering if anyone has new solutions.

I would like to have a Bamboo build trigger a TestExecute session on a remote VM.

Anyone have any ideas that don't require PSEXEC? Our IT guys aren't crazy about installing this due to security concerns.

The trick is also that I want to trigger the tests from our build server (HOST_A) to run on a remote VM setup with TestExecute (HOST_B) so not super straight forward to do.

Thanks for any ideas

m

9 Replies

maximojo
    Frequent Contributor

I also know I can use a NetworkSuite. However, I'd rather not have to waste a runtime just to start another runtime on a remote VM.

maximojo
      Frequent Contributor

From Smartbear. Not a good idea to trust PSEXEC to work:

"There is a number of known problems with psexec and we cannot guarantee that TestComplete / TestExecute will work correctly when launched by psexec - that's caused by some specifics of the third party tool's implementation. This means that you may observe problems with tested applications launched by psexec as well.

If you need to run TestComplete tests remotely, we recommend that you consider using the Network Suite feature instead (see the "Distributed Testing" (http://smartbear.com/viewarticle/80602/) help topic for more information)."

That said, I would still like a way where I don't have to use two licenses via NetworkSuite (master and slave) to run one test suite triggered from Bamboo.

The quest continues.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

I'm assuming Bamboo doesn't allow you to open a WScript shell prompt or command prompt and just execute a command line? That seems to be the quickest work around. It's not a direct integration between Bamboo and TestExecute, but it will at least allow you to run the tests.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I did not use Bamboo but in order to run TestComplete/TestExecute tests that interact with the UI of the tested application, the following must be done on the target test machine:

-- There *must* exist interactive user session for the user on behalf of whom tests are planned to be executed;

-- TestComplete/TestExecute (TC/TE) must be installed on the test machine;

-- TC/TE must have access to the test code (it's OK if the test code is on some shared network resource);

-- Tested application must be installed on the test machine.

So your task is to ensure that interactive user session exists on the remote machine; launch TC/TE inside this session and command it (TC/TE) to execute your tests.

The most reliable experience that personally I had for this type of task was to use the Remote Desktop Plus (http://www.donkz.nl) utility to open remote desktop session on the remote computer (utility supports encrypted credentials, something that is not easy to get with the regular mstsc one) and to use psexec to start TC/TE in the required session. As a possible workaround, you may consider to create a scheduled task on the remote test machine and set this task to execute when the user logs in and command the task to start TC/TE and execute your tests.