Forum Discussion

PedroBarry07
New Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Testing an Application in different langue c.d (French and English)

Hi, can anyone tell me how to  test an application in different languages (French and English) in testComplete. In Java, we use propertie files to store all the expected result so we can compare with the actual and its a lot easier and cleaner. 

Thank you all.

• I suspect how you do it will be largely dependent on how your tests are currently set up.

Mine run in my own framework with all the input data and expected results stored on Excel sheets. If I wanted to add additional languages, I would simply set up a sheet with inputs and expected results in French. I would probably also introduce a global flag variable indicating the language in use. This could automatically redirect to specific folders (to retrieve the input sheets) depending how the flag was set. Setting of the flag would be done in the initialisation sheet all tests require.

How you do this using things like keyword tests and checkpoints, I'm not so sure ... use multiples like the reply above I suppose?

(If you're using object maps, and using text which may change to identify objects, that may present problems. I tend not to use things like caption text, but sometimes you can't avoid it. In that case, I guess you would probably need to use different name maps? Which you can't load on the fly with TC. Not ideal.)

6 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

Hi,

In my case I have a separate object checkpoints for each language binding. 

Colin_McCrae
      Community Hero

I suspect how you do it will be largely dependent on how your tests are currently set up.

Mine run in my own framework with all the input data and expected results stored on Excel sheets. If I wanted to add additional languages, I would simply set up a sheet with inputs and expected results in French. I would probably also introduce a global flag variable indicating the language in use. This could automatically redirect to specific folders (to retrieve the input sheets) depending how the flag was set. Setting of the flag would be done in the initialisation sheet all tests require.

How you do this using things like keyword tests and checkpoints, I'm not so sure ... use multiples like the reply above I suppose?

(If you're using object maps, and using text which may change to identify objects, that may present problems. I tend not to use things like caption text, but sometimes you can't avoid it. In that case, I guess you would probably need to use different name maps? Which you can't load on the fly with TC. Not ideal.)

PedroBarry07
        New Contributor

Hi 

PedroBarry07
      New Contributor

Hi