Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestExecute and Jenkins (Test Result)

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

TestExecute and Jenkins (Test Result)

Hi guys,

Current I'm using the TestComplete plugin on Jenkins to execute a pipeline with tests being executed using TestExecute.

And I use the Jenkins API to get the JSON with the results, parse and store that in a Database, where I want to create a live dashboard.

The API is not getting the error message return from the TestExecute as the image:

Json.jpg

I'm wondering if and how it's possible to fix that because the console of Jenkins receives the correct return. Does someone have any clue about that?

Also, I want to know if it is possible to return a "custom" message instead of the TestExecute default messages?

The idea was returning a customized message that makes clear where the test stopped without having to access the test report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Hero

Re: TestExecute and Jenkins (Test Result)

If I understand it properly, the Jenkins plugin for TestComplete/TestExecute is that it builds a wrapper around the command-line execution of tests via TestComplete/TestExecute.  The command-line only returns certain exit codes based upon the execution.  The actual error message, warning, etc., is not included in that return.  So, a short answer to your question, as it stands right now, I don't think there is a way to get the actual error message that caused a failure.

To that end... that error message, many times, may not have a meaning to the casual reader.  "Object recognition error" means nothing to someone who doesn't know about how TestComplete/TestExecute handles errors.  "TypeError: JavaScript" also won't have much meaning.  I believe that there is something in the works to do an API call to retrieve information from a test run, but even with that, there needs to be meaningful interpretation of the error messages, and that can only be done by the person doing the interpretation.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Hero

Re: TestExecute and Jenkins (Test Result)

If I understand it properly, the Jenkins plugin for TestComplete/TestExecute is that it builds a wrapper around the command-line execution of tests via TestComplete/TestExecute.  The command-line only returns certain exit codes based upon the execution.  The actual error message, warning, etc., is not included in that return.  So, a short answer to your question, as it stands right now, I don't think there is a way to get the actual error message that caused a failure.

To that end... that error message, many times, may not have a meaning to the casual reader.  "Object recognition error" means nothing to someone who doesn't know about how TestComplete/TestExecute handles errors.  "TypeError: JavaScript" also won't have much meaning.  I believe that there is something in the works to do an API call to retrieve information from a test run, but even with that, there needs to be meaningful interpretation of the error messages, and that can only be done by the person doing the interpretation.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors