Forum Discussion

Colin_McCrae
Community Hero
8 years ago

TestExecute 11.20 installer failure/problems ...

Trying to install TestExecute on a VM in the office.

Running into some fairly major problems.

First it started giving us the "Installer has detected another instance of TestExecute is running on your machine." error. It's not. Just the installer. This VM has never had TestExecute or TestComplete in any shape or form installed on it.

We found this thread: https://community.smartbear.com/t5/Desktop-Testing/Installation-of-TestComplete-in-Azure-VM-fails/td-p/117416

Which talked about a similar problem with TestComplete.

So we tried the "fix" in there. Renamed the installer (eh?) and tried again.

This time it starts to install. We get past the two "extracting" messages. But during the "Preparing to install" one in the InstallShield Wizard, the box minimises and doesn't come back. Task Manager can see it's still there. And it's still visible in the task bar. But you can't actually get at or see the window to continue. So we can't install it. Nothing works. No install. Does not look good for a proof of concept when what you're trying to prove falls at the first hurdle!

Thankfully, I was only sat with the dev guy at the time. And not a bunch of managers!

TestExecute v11.20

Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit running in a VM. (V1511 OS Build 10586.318)

According to the product notes, Win 10 64 bit is supported. It does not make any distinction for specific versions.

Any suggestions? It's pretty urgent as far as I'm concerned ....

(I am about to download the 11.30 installer and see if that works. But 11.20 should be supporting Win 10 AFAIK so I don't see how that should make any difference ...)

5 Replies

• Over 20 minutes to download the 11.30 installer?!?!?

It's coming down at around 200 KB/sec. SpeedTest gives me a download speed of 14.3 Mbps.

Think your hosting needs a bit of a boost!

(I have noticed the forum seems really laggy recently as well now that I think about it ...)

joseph_michaud

The downloads are coming from AWS.  Should be pretty quick.  The forums are from Lithium.  Also should be pretty quick.

MD5 hashes on the installation packages are:

00e8a29e864e26d41bb1b018cfe55024 testcomplete11_11.20.1491.exe
      8c9ac8227b3a7746ad2a1d5d3e341a30 testcomplete11_11.30.2298.exe

(I use Microsoft FCIV utility for this.)

Are you installing as Administrator?

Colin_McCrae
        Community Hero

Yep.

Logged in as Admin.

Also tried running the installer as Admin. Just to be safe.

And compatibility mode.

All the same result.

Same on the physical box hosting the VM. Which is Win 10 Pro 64 bit. Exactly the same behaviour.

I used exactly the same installer on my own Win 7 Pro 64 bit a couple of days ago and it worked fine. Same EXE I sent to the dev guy ....

(PS .... thanks for the hosting info. AWS should indeed be fast. I use that too. But was very slow for some reason?)