Forum Discussion

hiepwork08
Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

TestComplete not recognising Remote Desktop window objects

Hi,   I am trying to create a keywork test where from a PC, I start up the Remote Desktop application and remote into that machine. However, upon replaying the recorded test, TestComplete is indica...
    AlexKaras
    4 years ago

Hi,

Does this mean test complete cannot reply click actions on buttons which appear inside the remote desktop window?

Not exactly. Everything within RDP window is just one big image. Not a set of objects but just a plain image. Thus it is not possible to search, for example, for a button by its properties. But you may prepare a set of required images (for this or that button etc.) and do a region search (i.e. search for an image within another image - see documentation for more details). Once a region is found, TestComplete will be able to click on it. RDP will route the click to the proper object of the application running remotely.

Note that this is very unstable approach, because images might be displayed differently for different OS, resolution, color scheme, etc. So, unless you need to do this just for one RDP window on one machine, the chances are high that you will need to prepare a set of separate images for every OS/resolution you need to work with.