Forum Discussion

mgroen2
Super Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete installation on Windows Server (virtualized)

Hi,

is it possible to install TestComplete (node locked license) on a virtualized Windows Server 2012?

The goal is to share TestComplete accross multiple testers in our organization, by using RDP (Remote Desktop) to connect to the server. (I am aware that only one user can connect at a time), and thus only TestComplete usage is limited to one user at a time.

Thanks,

Mathijs

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

From the help on TC licensing (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/licensing/license-types.html):

Do not activate Node-Locked licenses on virtual computers. If you need to run tests on virtual computers, use Floating User licenses or TestExecute.
    You can install TC on a virutalized server (I have a Windows 2012 R2 virtual box with TC installed on it) but you have to set it up as a floating license. IIRC, when I tried it a few years back, an attempt to activate a node-locked license on a virtual machine actual results in a message indicating that i cannot be done. Whether there is some sort of work around or adjustment on a license that the SmartBear support folks can do, I don't know, but it is documented that such a thing is not possible.
      mgroen2
      Super Contributor

tristaanogre wrote:

From the help on TC licensing (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/licensing/license-types.html):

Do not activate Node-Locked licenses on virtual computers. If you need to run tests on virtual computers, use Floating User licenses or TestExecute.
      You can install TC on a virutalized server (I have a Windows 2012 R2 virtual box with TC installed on it) but you have to set it up as a floating license. IIRC, when I tried it a few years back, an attempt to activate a node-locked license on a virtual machine actual results in a message indicating that i cannot be done. Whether there is some sort of work around or adjustment on a license that the SmartBear support folks can do, I don't know, but it is documented that such a thing is not possible.

tristaanogre Thanks for your reaction.