Forum Discussion

rec3
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

TestComplete command line problems

I have written come python scripts to call TestComplete as a part of the CI system I am building. I then installed Test Complete on a remote machine and am having problems understanding why TestComplete is trying to open TestComplete.exe. Is this a bug or am I just missing something obivious? I never encourtered this on my local machine.

14 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

TestComplete is a locally installed executable.  So, in order to run it from a CI system (like Jenkins), whatever machine you intend to execute it on HAS to have TestComplete installed.  The way Jenkins works is that there is an agent on a remote machine that executes the automation and that remote machine has TestComplete installed.

So, my guess is that you're calling the TestComplete commandline but the machine you're making the call on doesn't actually have TestComplete installed.

rec3
      Occasional Contributor

Interesting. I am using remote desktop and using it as if it was a local machine. I downloaded it and installed it just like I did on the local machine as well.  The Test Complete directory is on the C drive of machine with the executable in it.  It just seems like the path to TestComplete is getting passed as the argument for the project path.   Could this be a problem with my environment variables or do you have any other ideas?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

It might be helpful to know what you're actually doing in the way of a commandline to execute automation.  Can you paste in the commandline string you're executing?

Bobik
    Frequent Contributor

Looks like you use path to testcomplete.exe as a parameter for testcomplete.exe. Could you show us your code to run TC.

When TC started and displayed such message, please look into his command line. For example, you can open ObjectBrowser in TC and find Sys.Process("TestComplete") object. What is the value for "CommandLine" property?

Also, TestComplete 14.10 now have a command line tool to use with CI systems to run tests. You can try this.

See help https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/automating/session-creator/index.html

rec3
      Occasional Contributor

All I type in to the terminal if that is what your asking is: 

TestComplete.exe

No parameter at all. I have tried it in the actual bin directory and exported as an enviroment variable. I do agree it is taking the exe as the project for some reason. I tried repair and complete reinstall but nothing changed.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

What if you run TestComplete.exe at a standard Windows command prompt and not in Powershell?  Does that make a difference?