Forum Discussion

santoshthenge
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

TestComplete 12.3 Code editor find string issue

Hi TestComplete support,

We have updated the Testcomplete 12.2 to 12.3. But in the Test complete 12.3 code editor we face issue like searching any string took much time by Alt+F.

If we are searching the string in the script file of code line is more than 25k.

You can reproduce the issue by follow steps

• Create project
  • Create unit with line of code more 25k
  • Search any string in code script and see that for searching any testcomplete took more than 45 sec’s which is too much

Please help me testcomplete support team and as early as possible debug issue and come up with solution.

Thanks & Regards

Santosh Thenge

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like a request to be sent directly to the SmartBear support team.  You can do so by going to https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

In the meantime, something you can try is to go to Tools -> Options -> Panels -> Code Editor -> Display and turn off the Outlining features and Word wrap as these impact how the text of the code is formatted on screen. No guarentees that will work, but it's worth a try.

As a side note...  I'm leary of any code project, whether it is automation testing or application development, where a single unit of code has that many lines in it. 25,000 lines of code is a lot for a single code unit.  Have you considered modularizing your code more, breaking things out into shared libraries to reduce the length of your code units?  This would be easier to maintain, easier to manage when working with other team members to modify code, and generally a best practice overall.

santoshthenge
      Occasional Contributor

Hi 

This issue this TestComplete 12.3 only. In the old version of TestComplete 12.2 or 11 it is work fine. Search any string in the code editor with in sec's.

If customer face issue like this than what is the of upgrading TC Version.

Regards

Santosh

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

As mentioned, open a support case because it is an adverse change of behavior.  The link is in my previous message.  My other suggestions of turning off options were intended to keep you functional until a better resolution can be found.  And my final note is my observation based upon my experience, industry best practices, and common sense.