Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test complete should provide DDTDriverObj.RowCount

payaldalal
Occasional Contributor

Test complete should provide DDTDriverObj.RowCount

Hello AutomatedQA support,

Test complete should provide DDTDriverObj.RowCount similar to DDTDriverObj.ColumnCount

This thread is derived from 'DDT using Excel sheet' thread.Currently test complete only provides column count and not row count.Therefore it is recomended to have row count in up coming test complete releases.

Thank you.

Payal
Thanks.
Regards,
Payal
11 REPLIES 11
YMinaev
Staff

RE: Test complete should provide DDTDriverObj.RowCount

Hi Payal,

DDT is a wrapper for ADO, and it provides the information available for ADO recordsets. It uses the standard way to work with tables.

If you need to know the number of rows in the target file, you can iterate through the entire table and count the number of iterations.

------
Yuri
TestComplete Customer Care Engineer

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
vthomeschoolmom
Super Contributor

Once I have iterated through the ddt data, if I want to move to the first record again, how do I do that?

Thanks

tristaanogre
Community Hero

The DDT objects create a forward only cursor so you can't navigate backwards.  I believe, also, it doesn't have a RowCount necessarily, it just has an EOF marker.

so, if you want to go back through, it's a matter of closing the object and re-creating it.  Sorry.  

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
YMinaev
Staff

Hi All,

I've increased the appropriate suggestion's rating in our DB.
------
Yuri

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
sastowe
Super Contributor

Can we have the feature allow us to specify the cursor type? It would be sad to loose the speed of the forward only cursor. By being able to specify the cursor type, we could decide whether we want speed or motion.

Does that make sense?
YMinaev
Staff

Hi,

Can you clarify what exact 'cursor type' you're talking about? It is a bit unclear.
------
Yuri

tristaanogre
Community Hero

Jared,

Currently, as far as I know, the DDT driver objects only support "forward-only" cursor for navigating through the resulting record sets.  You can only go to the next row until you hit EOF.  You can't reset back to the beginning nor can you specify to go to a particular row.  It would be nice, at least for ADODrivers, perhaps even for CSV, to allow an option to be able to reset back to the beginning of the record set or to be able to navigate backwards and forwards.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
sastowe
Super Contributor

DDT.ADODriver is a wrapper for ADO recordset object. An ADO recordset object upon opening can have a parameter to identify the cursor type of the recordset. The options are static, dynamic, keyset and forward-only. Google ADO recordset for more info. It seems clear that DDT.ADODriver only supports the forward only cursor.

Given what DDT is intended to do, drive tests, forward only cursors seem fine. I think I was the one who asked for further support for other cursor types. I withdraw that request. If I want to do more stuff with ADO that DDT supports, I can use ADO directly.

Thanks

Stephanie
murugans1011
Regular Contributor

when will the ddt row count feature will be implemented
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors