Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a license from the pool

SOLVED
Contributor

Taking a license from the pool

Hi,

We are having a license pool of floating licenses. We do need to be able to run test on different machines, and this number exceeds the number of licenses. 

Is there any way to ask for availeble licenses on the server, instead of just failing the test executions, when no licenses are availeble.

At the moment we are using a script with a db. But outside of the test environment, people tend to forget to use the script.

Thanks for any help.

Br,

Christian

Br,
Christian
Personal notebook/Blog: www.testtech.dk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: Taking a license from the pool

Thanks for the reply.

I have no way of knowing wo will trigger a test, or how many machines they will trigger. So we have manifested a more strict process for test executions.

Within the environment, we have a simple script and a db, managing the licenses. It works fine. Even with bulk test initiations and 80 machines hamering away.

This script, is now mandatory for taking and releasing a licens.

Br,

Christian

Br,
Christian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Hero

Licenses are attempted when the application (TestExecute or TestComplete) are started up.  As far as I know, there's not an API call to the license server that you can call outside of those two applications.  Simply starting the application attempts to consume the license.

I could  be wrong... but I think that you may just need to tighten up your procedures for running automations to make sure that too many simultaneous executions aren't attempted.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
Community Manager

Hi @Christian_N_DK,

Please consider specifying users (machines) who may connect to the license manager and get the license. Perhaps, you can configure this before starting a test. You can find more information here:

Specifying Users Who May Connect to License Manager 

---------
Tanya Gorbunova
SmartBear Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

We are tightening the process for usage outside of the test environment.

Within the environment, we have a simple script and a db, managing the licenses. It works fine. Even with bulk test initiations and 80 machines hamering away.

Br,

Christian

Br,
Christian
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I have no way of knowing wo will trigger a test, or how many machines they will trigger. So we have manifested a more strict process for test executions.

This script, is now mandatory for taking and releasing a licens.

Br,

Christian

Br,
Christian

View solution in original post

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors