Forum Discussion

Christian_N_DK
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Taking a license from the pool

Hi,

We are having a license pool of floating licenses. We do need to be able to run test on different machines, and this number exceeds the number of licenses. 

Is there any way to ask for availeble licenses on the server, instead of just failing the test executions, when no licenses are availeble.

At the moment we are using a script with a db. But outside of the test environment, people tend to forget to use the script.

Thanks for any help.

Br,

Christian

Christian_N_DK
    5 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I have no way of knowing wo will trigger a test, or how many machines they will trigger. So we have manifested a more strict process for test executions.

Within the environment, we have a simple script and a db, managing the licenses. It works fine. Even with bulk test initiations and 80 machines hamering away.

This script, is now mandatory for taking and releasing a licens.

Br,

Christian

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Licenses are attempted when the application (TestExecute or TestComplete) are started up.  As far as I know, there's not an API call to the license server that you can call outside of those two applications.  Simply starting the application attempts to consume the license.

I could  be wrong... but I think that you may just need to tighten up your procedures for running automations to make sure that too many simultaneous executions aren't attempted.

Christian_N_DK
        Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I have no way of knowing wo will trigger a test, or how many machines they will trigger. So we have manifested a more strict process for test executions.

Within the environment, we have a simple script and a db, managing the licenses. It works fine. Even with bulk test initiations and 80 machines hamering away.

This script, is now mandatory for taking and releasing a licens.

Br,

Christian

Christian_N_DK
      Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

We are tightening the process for usage outside of the test environment.

Br,

Christian