Forum Discussion

sastowe
Super Contributor
11 years ago

TC and Subversion

So once upon a time, my team was going to integrate Visual Source Safe with Test Complete. It seemed as though the correct way to do this was to have our project source live on the network, add the project to Source Safe then use the project in network mode across the team. We never implemented this. We did not want to force the people to be connected to the domain to do their work.

We may be changing to Subversion. My question is can we have local working copies of our projects that we can check in and out using Subversion integration with Test Complete? Or do we need to use a single location for the project?

I don't have a copy of Subversion until such time as I recommend we pursue that path.

Thanks

S

2 Replies

simon_glet
    Regular Contributor
    Hi Stephanie,

What you are asking is which source control clients are supported by TestComplete. Bascally anything to can understand the Microsoft Source Code Control API (MSSCCI).

Please keep in mind that the following has nothing to do with one source control solution over another but with the TC's source control integration.

We were using a supported client (Tam Tam CVS SCC) for a while. The problem was that the source control integration had an unberable performance hit on TC: in most extreme cases typing would only work at a keystoke speed of one every 3-4 seconds. This occured on VMware virtual machines that were quite distant for the source control system. As we didn't have time to investigate the issue, we just removed source control from our TC solution. Now we use a CVS client seperately from TC and everything works just fine !

So if your team requires TC source control integration and that you have options, I would suggest testing it in your context.

Sincerely 
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Stephanie,

Also, in addition to what was said by Simon, consider that only script code can be more or less handled by the non-locking source control systems like Subversion (though even in this case manual merge most probably will be required and I never heard a success story about easy, reliable and error-proof code merging).

All other test project components (suite and project files, namemapping file, etc.) cannot be merged without a lot of efforts.