Forum Discussion

siv_arunprakash
Contributor
6 years ago

System resource exceeded message thrown from TestComplete 12

We are scheduling night run of same amount of TestCases on virtual machine everyday using remote desktop connection from a laptop. The virtual machine has 16GB RAM and no other application except TestComplete, Git, Chrome (for Web Testing) and Task scheduler runs there.  The remote desktop connection laptop also has 16 GB RAM and Intel core i7 processor.

Out of 7 days in a week , 3 days it works fine without any issues and 4 days the night run stops with a reason, System resource exceeded message with Javascript runtime exception with no brief explanation of the exception.

How do I solve this ?. Please help if anyone faced similar kind of issue.

6 Replies

• I assume that the problem found due to I was using 32 bit version of TestComplete.

Now I have upgraded with 64 bit version of TestComplete and I haven't faced the system resource exceeded message as far today. I hope or assume that might be resolution to this problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.

siv_arunprakash
      Contributor

Hello everyone ,

I still get the same system resource exceeded message from TestComplete 12. 41.2879 x64. I updated testcomplete to 64 bit , my office files are 64 bit, and still I get this error message frequently 3 out of 5 times while running my tests. 

Has anyone came across this issue ?. Where this issue is related to Virtual Machine or Test Complete ?, I dont see issue related to VM as it has 64 bit os with 16 GB RAM and 2 processors. 

Please help.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

We're running a similar VM as you and we are not running into the problem you are.  So, this indicates to me it is less a problem with TestComplete and, potentially, either a problem with the application under test or in your implementation of your automation.

I had suggested before to look into how much you are writing out to your log.  The more you write to the log, the more resource that is being utilized.

Also, double check your script code/keyword test implementation and make sure you're not reading large chunks of data into memory and not properly clearing it, that all objects are "nulled" when you are finished with them, that any files you open you close as soon as feasible, etc. 

Finally, something you might want to do to debug this is to log an occasional snapshot of the memory consumption of your application under test and of test complete.  You can find this as a property of the Sys.Process(<insert app name>) object.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Note that each test run generates a log file.  Log files persist between test runs.  Unless configured to do so, TestComplete does not auto-delete that log.  It's possible that you may be filling up your hard drive with logs.

Under Tools | Options | Engines | Log, review your settings to determine what will work best for you with regards to persisting log files.