Forum Discussion

jr348
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Stopping creation of Aliases by default

Is there any way of stopping TC creating of Aliases by default when new elements are mapped.

TC produces a lot of elements we dont need, and we'd like to maintain the Alias map by adding as required into a fairly simplified UI Alias map.

• No.  Because Aliases are the preferred way of referencing an object, every time an object is mapped, an Alias is created.  So, if you want to modify Aliases after mapping, that's a "step 2" in your mapping process.

• That's the best approach, really.  In my experience, while generally you don't need alot of those DIVs mapped, occasionally I've needed it to do some other detection or verification.   

Modifying the Alias after the fact is relatively easy.  Highlight the objects in the Alias tree, right click, and select "Exclude Items".  This preserves the mapping for the identification engine but "telescopes" your Alias tree to something more manageable.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

No.  Because Aliases are the preferred way of referencing an object, every time an object is mapped, an Alias is created.  So, if you want to modify Aliases after mapping, that's a "step 2" in your mapping process.

jr348
      Contributor

Thanks Robert. 

I'd say that's a good idea for desktop apps but for java/REACT web pages with vast numbers of nested DIV containers which all gets mapped it prodces a lot of clutter we dont' need.

I'd like to maintain a high level alias structure like this:

Browser

>>Page

>>>>Content Container

>>>>>>Menu Container

>>>>>>>>Option 1

>>>>>>>>Option 2

>>>>Toolbar Container

>>>>Modal popups etc

Mapping a single button can produces 15-20 parent objects  which is fine in Name Mapping  but messes up Aliases. 

I'lll have a go at the approach you mentioned and let you know.

Thanks

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

That's the best approach, really.  In my experience, while generally you don't need alot of those DIVs mapped, occasionally I've needed it to do some other detection or verification.   

Modifying the Alias after the fact is relatively easy.  Highlight the objects in the Alias tree, right click, and select "Exclude Items".  This preserves the mapping for the identification engine but "telescopes" your Alias tree to something more manageable.