Forum Discussion

peltier_cooler
New Contributor
14 years ago

Startup Wizard not recognized on run of recorded test

This is interesting.  I recorded a short test which opened my application (which has a startup wizard form), took a region checkpoint which included the wizard, then used the wizard to continue the program.

On running the test, TestComplete interpreted the Wizard as an "Unexpected window" and then "Simulating the ESC keystroke to close the unexpected window."

Why?  Can I prevent this? 

This form and other child forms are a huge part of our application. If this can't be overcome TestComplet is useless to us.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    An unexpected window event occurs when a keystroke or mouse click is attempted against a component but, when doing so a different window is presented.  This is the BIGGEST drawback to simple record-and-playback scripting.

Without seeing your script you recorded, I can't say where EXACTLY to put the changes but you'll need to put in code to wait for forms, windows, components, etc, to make sure your scripts are operating "smartly". 
  • The window is expected and standard.  You have to tell the application not to present it to make it go away.  It was there during the recording of the test.  I used it when continuing the test.  Nothing happens without it.

• Hi Peltier,

Does the problem occur when you make a checkpoint only for the wizard window? If it does, could you please record your actions during the recording and the playback of the test using a screen recorder, so we can clearly note all action leading to the problem and reproduce it? Please send the video to our Support Team via our Contact Support form.
  • No offense intended, but the lack of  response to this question, the difficulty in getting support to pay attention to this issue, the inabiliity to resolve this and another issue and the lack of usability otherwise is the reason your product and company are no longer being considered for regression testing.

• Hi Peltier,

Sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the service.

But please note that the public forums is not the best place to get quick responses directly from AutomatedQA team.

To get assistance sooner, please use the Contact Support form to submit your queries directly to us. Don't forget to specify your Customer ID - this will prioritize your request.

So, if you have problem using TestComplete and need assistance, feel free to contact us directly - we will help you.