Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting strings

SOLVED
4m4d3u5
Contributor

Splitting strings

I have a string that is a time and a period that I want to parse; however, I want to parse this if the period is AM or PM. So the string for example with be: 8:40AM and I want to split that up into it's parts. What I want to do is split on the first letter so that it doesn't matter if it's am or pm so  something like:

var timePeriod = 8:40AM

var timePeriodParsedtimePeriod .split(Is letter)

var period = timePeriodParsed[1]

var hourMinutes = timePeriodParsed[0]

print(period)

output: AM

print(hoursMinutes)

output: 8:40

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
4m4d3u5
Contributor

Re: Splitting strings

I am pretty sure I have to format it then I can do what I want. I have to do aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr(timePeriod, "%c"), then I can get the string 8:40 AM, then I can split by space, then split by :

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Marsha_R
Community Hero

The methods you want are here:

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/aqstring/methods.html

Look for the colon ":" and everything before that position is your hours

The next two positions after the colon are your minutes

The next two positions after the minutes are AM or PM or whatever

4m4d3u5
Contributor

I am pretty sure I have to format it then I can do what I want. I have to do aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr(timePeriod, "%c"), then I can get the string 8:40 AM, then I can split by space, then split by :

View solution in original post

Marsha_R
Community Hero

You said in your first post that you have a string.  If you don't actually have a string, then yes, you need to reformat it.  

After that, you don't need to split anything.  

Use Find to locate the :  and it will give you the position of : in the string 

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/aqstring/find.html

From there, the two characters before that are the hours and the two characters after that are the minutes.  Now you have the whole time  ColonPosition-2 through ColonPosition+2

From your examples, it's not clear if you have a space before AM/PM or not.  

If you do have a space, then AM/PM is at ColonPosition +4

If you do not have a space, then AM/PM is at ColonPosition +3

4m4d3u5
Contributor

Yeah I guess that works too. I do have a string but Ican reformate it with the DateTimeToFormatStr so that I can a delimiter to use to parse the string which was the problem I had no delimiter.   I think it's clear but thanks. 

tristaanogre
Community Hero

DateTimeToFormatStr is not for taking a string and formatting.  It is for taking a DateTime data type (a specific data type) and formatting it into a string.

If you have a string that you want to reformat in a particular way, then you'll need to do some manipulation of the string using the aqString object to split it up into different bits.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors